Where is the best place to paraglide in Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 12:17:24 #819619

My husband and I will be in Lucerne for 2 days in July. We are thinking of going paragliding and wondered where is the best place and what companies are the best.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    25 January 2019 at 17:10:09 #902845

Paragliding, bungee jumps and wingsuiting are dangerous sports with relatively frequent fatal accidents in Switzerland. I for one refuse to help you, I hope you understand.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 January 2019 at 17:45:53 #902846

Hi Neon2579, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are lots of place to take off for a paragliding flight. Stanserhorn I think, and Engelberg (well, the surrounding slopes) are an option as well: https://www.viator.com /tours/Central-Switzerland/2-50-Hours-Freeminds-Paragliding-Tandemflight-in-Engelberg/d22430-7255P1. I can’t recommend one company over the other. As for safety there should not be a difference.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 January 2019 at 17:49:41 #902847

Hi Snowman,

I don’t think paragliding (tandem flight with an instructor normally) falls into the same category as wingsuiting. I think wingsuiting should be forbidden in a densely populated country like Switzerland, but paragliding is a very different thing I think. Not risk free, but much slower and with more control.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    25 January 2019 at 19:54:20 #902848

OK, Arno, thanks for the clarification.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 January 2019 at 1:16:47 #902849

Hi Snowman-

I support your position.

Further, as you are aware from your own experiences, we who live in the USA tend to take risks, then blame someone else if there is a problem. Then, sue! Sue everyone who has any connection to the incident.

Swiss law is not so generous, last I heard. You may well be held accountable for your own choices and actions. !

However, I completely support your position, whether on legal or moral grounds.

You can easily die while participating in those activities, anywhere in the world, including Switzerland. You correctly note the number of deaths and injuries that have occurred in those activities. We do not know the experience level of Neon 2579. So, I too would refuse to offer advice.

Arno, as an owner of the forum, with extensive experience in Switzerland, and a European perspective on the legal aspects, might have a different perspective.

The internet is full of options.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    Arno
    15484 posts
    28 January 2019 at 9:46:26 #902851

Hi Slowpoke,

Well, it’s always someone’s own responsibility for sure. You can’t just go and do risky things without thinking about possible consequences first. My travel insurance would not cover any damage caused by paragliding, but also ice hockey, scuba diving, kite surfing and various other activities are excluded. So extra insurance is required. If something goes wrong on a low risk hike, a rescue helicopter is not necessarily covered by my medical insurance, but transportation from a local hospital to my home country is. Risk assessment is part of traveling. Some are willing to take more risks than others. To me, it’s important if an activity is endangering others. That’s why I think wingsuiting is a whole different thing. It’s spectacular, fast and with little control. That’s just an opinion of course, I did not try it and do not intend to!

Having said that, you also won’t see me paragliding or anything like that. The views from the peaks and cable cars are good enough for me 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 January 2019 at 10:57:29 #902852

Hi Arno-

<<“Well, it’s always someone’s own responsibility for sure. You can’t just go and do risky things without thinking about possible consequences first.”>

The Swiss have insurance for everything…it is part of the culture. Unfortunately, in the USA, we have too many lawyers who will help you sue for almost anything, so , people are less willing to be responsible for their own actions.

<<“If something goes wrong on a low risk hike, a rescue helicopter is not necessarily covered by my medical insurance, but transportation from a local hospital to my home country is.”>>

I belong to REGA. A real bargain. Renew it every year. Two different Swiss friends have had helicopter flights from them, after breaking their ankles on very tame hikes…slipped on a loose rocks.

http://www.rega.ch/en/home.as px

When i took my daughter and granddaughter to Switzerland in 2009, I bought REGA memberships for them, and hiking staffs.

None of us went hang-gliding. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where is the best place to paraglide in Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.