Which of these Swiss towns to spend most time in?

• VolatilityTS
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 May 2022 at 4:59:14 #827152

I’ve never been to Europe so I will be relying on forums and advice for this trip I’m planning, thanks in advance! It’s a 16 day trip and we visit 7 places to do a lap around all of Switzerland. Then I have 9 days to add on for “rest days” to just explore the area and do day trips to mountains, lakes, castles, winery’s, chocolate / cheese factories, etc.

Which of these places should we spend the most extra time in? We’ll have the unlimited Swiss Rail pass

– Zurich

– Lucerne

– Chur

– St Moritz

– Zermatt

– Montreux

– Interlaken

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 May 2022 at 5:34:45 #941761

Hi VolatilityTS,

That’s a good question but also quite hard to answer 🙂 It’s really a matter of personal interests and priorities. I recommend to read our information on each town to help making a descision:

Basically you can’t go wrong spending extra time in either of these towns. Personally I would not pick Zurich because I prefer nature over cities. But if you like good dining, shopping and museums, then it would be a great choice for you.

Since Montreux is the only French speaking town on your list, that might be a reason to spend more time there. It will be a different atmosphere and add to the variety of your trip.

Does this get you started?

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    12 May 2022 at 10:26:20 #941762

Hello VolatilityTS,

My choices would be Zermatt, Lucerne, Montreux and Interlaken.

You might also check into Lauterbrunnen Valley area, it is very near Interlaken and to me is a much better choice over Interlaken.

I agree with Arno, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices.

Enjoy!

Steve

Drexelius
    Participant
    20 posts
    13 May 2022 at 12:22:46 #941763

Agree with Steve. Go to the Lauterbrunnen Valley. There is easily a week (or much more) of things to do in the area (beautiful hikes, villages, mountain tops, etc.) that will keep you busy and in my opinion, is the most beautiful area of Switzerland (actually the world).

Anna
    6274 posts
    13 May 2022 at 13:02:13 #941764

Hi VolatilityTS,

I would spend the extra time in Lucerne (plan day trips to the Ticino region) and Montreux. Interlaken would also be great.

Regards,

Anna

VolatilityTS
    Participant
    8 posts
    17 May 2022 at 7:12:58 #941765

Thank you so much everyone for the great feedback, it’s very helpful!

Looking at those links and resources, I think Lucerne and Montreux will get a couple extra days each, there seems to be a lot of great day trips there. Thanks

• The thread ‘Which of these Swiss towns to spend most time in?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.