Which pass is best for us?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2011 at 7:00:54 #804570

My family (husband, 2 adult children ages 29 and 24 and myself) will arrive in Zurich on the morning of 9 September. We plan to spend the day exploring Zurich, then traveling south via rail to Interlaken late in the day. While in the Interlaken area, we plan to ride the Jungfraujoch train to the top. We will spend 2 nights at Interlaken, and travel further south to Zermatt on 11 September. On 13 September, we would like to travel via the Glacier Express, and other trains to Salzburg. Would we exit the Glacier Express at Chur? From Salzburg, we plan to rent a car and drive on to Munich.
    I have researched the various passes extensively, and have only confused myself! I have looked at the half-fare card, the Swiss-Austria pass and the 4 day Flexi-saver pass. Note one of our travelers would qualify for a youth pass. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on what may be the best rail pass for our trip.
    Wonderful, helpful forum. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 August 2011 at 6:10:49 #833752

Hi Cheer4OSU, and welcome to the forum! I’d say a 3 or 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for all 4 of you (there’s no youth variant of the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass) would be the best option. Free travel days should be used for the transfers Zurich-Interlaken, Interlaken-Zermatt and Zermatt-Chur by Glacier Expres, and maybe for another trip you may want to make while staying in Interlaken or Zermatt. On all trips in between, a 50% discount will be granted. Just enter your country of residence and further details under the header ‘Where to purchase your Swiss Flexi Pass’ at the page I just linked to for an overview of purchase options and prices.

As for the train connection to Salzburg: yes, you could get out at Chur. Just enter your trip in the timetable for all details and connections. The Glacier Express timetable may be of help too.

• The thread ‘Which pass is best for us?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.