Which pass to buy for my 15-days trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2016 at 2:36:33 #808583

Hi

I will fly from Singapore to Zurich and then spend next 4 days to explore Lauterbrunnen, visit Gimmerwald, Murren, Grinderwald, Schirltorn, Jungfrau. After that, on 5th day, I will travel to Italy and Austria and finally back to Zurich on 14th day. Will fly back to Singapore on the 15th day. Hope to have advice on the best value combination of rail travel pass. Thanks very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 March 2016 at 8:02:44 #849254

Hi GOHL, welcome to our MySwissAlps!

If you intend to do intensive traveling in Italy and Austria as well, a Eurail Select Pass may suit your needs. If only a few train transfers are involved, you’d better consider regular tickets for Italy and Austria. You can only tell for sure by making a detailed list of plans and calculating as explained here.

For the Swiss leg of your journey, it’s better to look into Swiss rail passes as Eurail Passes don’t provide the best coverage, especially for the region you’ll be exploring. The Swiss Half Fare Card could be a good option. It’s valid during one month and will thus provide a 50% discount on all of your rail trips in Switzerland, including the last portion to Zurich on day 14. Again, calculations would have to prove whether this is indeed the best choice.

When doing the maths and looking for prices in the timetable, please make sure to avoid typos. Otherwise the timetable may not be able to recognize your destinations. E.g.: Gimmelwald, Grindelwald, Schilthorn.

• The thread ‘Which pass to buy for my 15-days trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.