Which rail pass to use for 5 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2015 at 9:32:25 #807792

Hi..I am travelling to Switzerland on 20 sep from Germany-Munich..I will be staying in Lucerne 2 night and 2 nights in Wengen. so total it comes to be 5 days.I have seen swiss pass Is only available for 3,4 or 8 days…so kindly tell me which pass shall I use to cover for 5 days.n also from Germany which pass to use. kindly reply

Regards

Ashish

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    20 August 2015 at 15:33:57 #845546

Hi akumar, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you should consider the Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. It allows you to buy 50% discounted tickets for your trips Switzerland. I don’t know what traveling you’ll be doing in Germany, but if you only need to get from Munich to the Swiss border, you can best buy regular tickets: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2015 at 7:22:25 #845547

Hi Anika,

Thanks for your reply..I will be staying in Munich for 2 Days,then travelling to Lucerne directly on 20 Sep.There my plan is to go to Mt.Rigi,Mt Pilatus,Mt. TItlis and some places nearby.Then on 22nd sep will go to Wengen, see jungfrauch.

1.Could you please tell me what would be the cost of travel with half-fare card for 5 days covering all these places.

2.In jungfrauch mountain swiss pass is valid? Or halffare card is valid?

3. What about if i take swiss pass for 4 days which is free to many of mountain excursions and last day can i take some other ticket.Because on last day i want to take Glaciar Express and then leave to Zurich. & from Zurich plan to go other country.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 August 2015 at 9:45:44 #845548

Hi akumar,

1. I agree with Annika that the Swiss Half Fare Card is most likely the cheapest option in your case. If you want to know the exact costs of all your trips you can calculate that as explained in this guide and on the timetable page. You can buy the card and the ticket from Munich to the border (Basel, Schaffhausen or St. Margrethen) here:

You may qualify for a discount if you order before August 26: http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/special-offers/great-deals-to-tour-Europe

2. Both offer a discount on this trip. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ validity and myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

3. The Swiss Travel Pass offers only some free mountain excursions. Please see the above pages I linked to. The Glacier Express is an 8 hour ride so it’s not likely your can do it from Wengen in one day. Please see our Glacier Express page. To which country do you travel next? By what time do you need to reach Zurich?

Note that the Swiss Pass is called Swiss Travel Pass. The Swiss Pass is something different, see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2015 at 14:28:17 #845549

Thanks, i would like to take glaciar express just for one part not full, since i will be checking out hotel on 24 sep itself by noon ,my luggage will also be with me. so kindly recommend me where i can get down and take train to Budapest Hungary or Back to Munich?

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 August 2015 at 4:56:48 #845550

You could travel to Brig and pick up the Glacier Express from there. Then get off in Chur from where you can proceed to anywhere else. The timetable page I referred to helps you find the trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2015 at 10:05:02 #845551

hi..i am planning to take swiss travel pass for 4 days i.e. from 21 Sep till 24 Sep..However on 24 Sep itself in night by 10pm i am planning to leave for Vienna (Austria). Could you pls tell me which train shall i use..also i have heard swiss pass will be valid till border of Switzerland..then do i need to get down at some place i,e at border of swiss and then have to take ticket from there to Austria or same ticket can be used to travel to austria without getting down from the train.

One more query my swiss travel pass is valid till 24 Sep 2015 .so will it be valid till next morning?

Please reply as i am confused in this matter.

Regards,

Ashish

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 September 2015 at 14:29:11 #845552

Hi Ashish,

Which train to take depends on where you depart from. All trains can be found in the timetable. The Swiss Travel Pass indeed covers the trip until the border, which is probably Buchs SG in your case. Details are on the map. From there, you need a ticket to Vienna. But there’s no need to get off the train. Just arrange for the ticket in advance: myswissalps.com/ traintickets/austria/ price. Personally I would take the direct train, which departs 16:40 from Zurich and 17:59 from Buchs SG.

Your Swiss Travel Pass is valid until 25 September, 5:00 in the morning: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ howtouse.

Please note that the retailers used to issue “print at home” passes, but I just found out they are currently shipping it physically. So don’t wait too long with your order as delivery can take up to 8 business days, depending on where you buy. Please see http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-pass and http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/pass/swiss-pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2015 at 20:07:06 #845553

Hi Arno…thank you so much for your reply!! so i can just a one ticket from Switzerland-zurich to Vienna Austria…I am thinking to buy ticket using Rail europe …also could you tell me if my train arrives in Austria after 6:00 am will there be any issues?

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2015 at 4:40:56 #845554

Hi Ashish,

You need one ticket from the border to Vienna, please see http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/train/railjet-austria-and-beyond. You don’t need a ticket in Switzerland because you have a pass. The time you arrive in Austria does not matter, as your Swiss Travel Pass only covers Switzerland. The train I suggested arrives 0:30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2015 at 5:14:26 #845555

Hi Arno..appreciate your response..I am thinking to reach early morning in Vienna say by 7 am as my hotel booking check in will be by 11 am or so..

So I hope there won’t be any issue if I take night train from Switzerland coz anyhow m passing swiss border before 5 am..also you told I have to take ticket from Austria border ..does it mean I have to change train or only same train but advance ticket from Austria border would suffice?

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2015 at 11:46:57 #845556

Hi Ashish,

Well, the timetable allows you to find out whether it’s possible to arrive around that time. It will also show you where to change trains. Changing trains is not related to tickets. You change trains as shown in the timetable, and you need a ticket from the border because the rest is covered by the pass. You need to get the ticket in advance. Buy it along with you pass through the link I gave you, or in Switzerland if you prefer that. But don’t get off the train in the middle of the night to get a ticket.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Which rail pass to use for 5 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.