Which rail pass suits well for a 5 day tour ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2016 at 9:22:31 #809334

Hi ,

We are a couple with 1 year old kid planning for a 5 day trip in switzerland and we have planned to stay in Lucerne during our entire trip and our travel itinerary is as follows

Day1: Basel airport to Lucerne

Day2: Rhine falls

Day3: Jungfrau

Day4: Mt Titlis

Day5: Mt pilatus and return to Basel airport

I am really confused with the different type of passes. First I thought I could go for Swiss pass but since our stay is for 5 days I should get a swiss pass for 4 days and for the remaining 1 day I should get individual ticket.

Then I came across the swiss transfer ticket in which they mentioned that it will be of much benefit to those who stay in a single place during their entire stay. As per my understanding with Swiss transfer ticket only for ur travel from airport to hotel and hotel to airport is free and for the rest of journey we need to pay the half fare and is entry to museums are free even with swiss transfer ticket?

Pls suggest me which one is the best to get and cost effective?

Thanks in Advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 June 2016 at 10:59:41 #852557

Hi rt2688, thanks for posting here!

The Swiss Transfer Ticket does not fit your plans. It included includes one trip from the airport to your destination and back. Apart from that, your trip to Lucerne is not long enough to make that ticket cost efficient.

A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would work, plus two tickets from Basel airport to Lucerne on day 1 (CHF 37.40 p.p.). The kid will travel for free everywhere. Alternatively, you could check the Swiss Half Fare Card. The Swiss Travel Pass is easier is use, but which option is most cost effective needs to be calculated. The below pages provide all details you need:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2016 at 12:25:31 #852558

Thanks for ur reply.. I ll just calculate to find which one is effective..

• The thread ‘Which rail pass suits well for a 5 day tour ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.