Scenic train/boat trips from Lucerne & Wengen

• RWIK16
    Participant
    11 posts
    4 August 2018 at 2:11:50 #817663

I will be staying in Wengen and Lucerne for a week each. Can you recommend which scenic train and/or boat trips would be best as day trips? Thank-you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2018 at 8:37:36 #893242

Hi RWIK16,

Scenic trains as day trips from either town would be the Gotthard Panorama Express to Lugano or the Golden Pass to Montreux. Another option, is the Voralpen Express from Luzern to St. Gallen but it isn’t a panoramic train.

The easiest lake cruises to do would be Lake Lucerne, Lake Thun or Lake Brienz

RWIK16
    Participant
    11 posts
    9 August 2018 at 17:38:41 #893243

Thank you so much. I read a post that said the St Gallen – Schaffhausen – Zurich and back to Luzern route is a good option. Do you know how long that takes and it that the most scenic route? Can you get off and on this train at the different stops without buying additional tickets if I have the half fare card or do I buy individual tickets to each stop? Which towns along the way would be nice to get off and visit if there is enough time to complete trip in one day from Luzern?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 7:24:27 #893244

Yes, you could perhaps travel on the Voralpen Express from Luzern to St. Gallen and then St. Gallen back to Lucerne via Winterthur.

I don’t recall the train trips going through Winterthur as particularly impressive, but most trips in Switzerland are quite nice :).

If you buy regular tickets (not supersavers that are noted with a % sign on the timetable) then you can hop on and off along the trip without issue as the ticket is valid for that route all day.

On your way to St. Gallen, you could make a side trip to Einsiedeln (change trains at Biberbrugg). You’ll need to buy a ticket for this side-trip, but the Benedictine Einsiedeln Abbey is quite impressive.

• The thread ‘Scenic train/boat trips from Lucerne & Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.