12 days in Switzerland – picking best rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2018 at 23:28:39 #817919

I welcome suggestions, we are a family of four, two children, arriving in Zurich on Tuesday for three days. We then travel to Lucerne for three days, then Interlaken for three days and finally on to Geneva for three days. In between we plan to take some mountain pass tours, some boat cruises and whatever day trips are recommended. Do we spend the money on the travel card for 8 days, plus three, or the flex card? Is it worth it if we are not using it consecutively each day? Some days may just be spent in the cities. I want to be sure before I spend the money. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2018 at 7:07:21 #894363

Hi Korinna latt and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For 12 days of travel through Switzerland, I think the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is the best option. It isn’t much more than an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex. And then you get to travel on all 12 days as you see fit (and get free museum entrance on any day etc.).

You can find the train schedules (and prices) for any trip within Switzerland on the Swiss railways timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. The first price you see is the Swiss Half Fare Card price so double it for the regular fare.

If you want to be 100% sure which pass is best for your specific itinerary, you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car). Then compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (including which routes/mountains are free or discounted).

Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂 http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 18:47:57 #894364

Hi Korinna Latt,

Were you able to finalize your travel plans and get your rail pass?
    Let us know if you need more help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 18:58:59 #894365

Hello Lucas,

I am eternally grateful to you for your speedy response, your comments and suggestions. We priced the Swiss Travel Pass and decided that it was cheaper to just purchase the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass as opposed to combining an 8 day and a three day pass. We are currently here in Switzerland for four more days and we have used our pass dozens of times. It has more than paid fir itself with trains to Zurich, Lucerne, Rapperswil, Bern, Interlaken, Grindewald, up Mt. Titlus, up the Schilthorn, and tomorrow we are off to Geneva. We have done.m no less than five boat cruises and six museums and it has all been free with our pass. By far the best purchase. We love everything about Switzerland and have found your site invaluable. We are so appreciative Of all your hard work, thank you from Canada!🇨🇦

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 19:04:05 #894366

Oh fellow Canadians! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Those Swiss Travel Pass are indeed a fantastic product.

• The thread ‘12 days in Switzerland – picking best rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.