Rail pass vs individual tickets Como – Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 15:43:43 #813174

Four adults will be travelling October 19-29 flying into Milan and ending in Zurich. We will have a car from Milan oct 19 and dropping off at Como train station October 25th. Not sure what type of Swiss pass to buy vs point to point. Here is itenaray so far:

1. While in Italy we would like to take the Bernini express round trip from tirano since we have a car to drive there. We just want to go as far as St. Moritz. We are flexible with the day we do this since we are staying in lake como area for 6 nights. I know I need to make reservation but if weather bad is there flexibility?

2.October 25th Dropping car rentL off in town of Como and taking train to Lucerne. I saw there is a direct train leaving at 11:03 in morning #158.

3. We have 4 nights in Lucerne- to spend time in Lucerne to visit a museum or boat on lake and would like to do a couple of day trips with one of them going to Murren.

4. Another day trip from Lucerne we are open to suggestions. Possibly Basel or Mt. Titlus but not sure.

5. Our last day we need to take train to Zurich for a late evening flight so thought we would leave luggage in locker and explore Zurich for a few hours or Rhine falls. Any preference?

Based on this itenerary what is best pass or combination of pass (consecutive, flex or half card) and/or point to point. What is most economical given the feasibility of this schedule?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 15:58:59 #869434

Hi Grubern,

To get an overview of available rail passes click here.
    I would typically recommend that you buy the Swiss Travel Pass for your travel within Switzerland. It covers pretty much all trips made in the country (expect some mountain trips where there is a discount only). Read about what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

The only way to know for sure what is the most economical option is to plan out all your trips and do the math unfortunately. We have a web page to help you choose the best rail pass here (with Excel sheet).

If you are looking for things to do, we have a list of activities for each town noted here. Just click on the town you want and then click “what to do”.

I would spend the day exploring Zurich and not going to the RheinFall personally. But if you its a personal call there. 🙂

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail pass vs individual tickets Como – Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.