Zermatt to Locarno on a Swiss Transfer Ticket?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 11:38:04 #809567

I will use the first leg of my Swiss Transfer Ticket to go from Milan to Zermatt (via Visp), but I would like to know if the second leg could be used by going from Zermatt to Locarno (via Brig and Domodossola)? Locarno isn’t mentioned as a swiss border station on the sbb.ch website.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 June 2016 at 13:30:46 #853636

Hi mjibiza,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Locarno is not on the border, so it can’t be your destination according to the rules. Lugano counts as a border station though, probably because there’s a small airport there. So you could use Lugano as your destination, but get off the train in Locarno and not complete the trip.

However, I doubt if the Swiss Transfer Ticket is the best choice for you. Did you do the math?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2016 at 13:59:42 #853637

Thank you for your response Arno. This is what I came up with:

Regular ticket prices for 5 people (2 adults, 2 youth of 16 and 23 and 1 child under 16) : 247,50 CHF from Domodossola to Zermatt, and 418,50 CHF from Zermatt to Locarno, which would total 666 CHF, compared to 564 CHF for the Swiss Transfer Tickets. Do you suggest a better option?

I was also thinking of going to Stresa on the way back from Zermatt instead, and in that case I think the Transfer Tickets would be more expensive than just buying point-to-point tickets.

If I wanted to take advantage of the Transfer Tickets for the second leg (and forget about Stresa or Locarno) and take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz, what could be my swiss destination? Tirano? Am I right to think that we could get off the train in St. Moritz and book tickets to go to Tirano?

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 June 2016 at 14:51:25 #853638

Hi mjibiza,

Yes, you are right! I would have guessed that regular tickets were slightly cheaper. Domodossola to Zermatt is indeed 4 x 55 + 1 x 27.50 = CHF 247.50. Note that if you would buy point to point tickets you could save money with a Junior travelcard for the child. Zermatt to Locarno is 4 x 93 + 1 x 46.50 = CHF 418.50. You are absolutely right, you would spend CHF 666, although with the Junior travelcard (to be purchased in Brig) it would be about CHF 622. Swiss Transfer Tickets and a free Swiss Family Card for the child cost 4 * 141 = CHF 564.

However, with your alternative plans you would need to check again. The best approach is to first list all your travel plans in Switzerland, including cable cars etc. in Zermatt, and then compare passes. A Swiss Half Fare Card may work better, or even a Swiss Travel Pass, depending on how many days you’ll spend in Switzerland. If you still want to use the Swiss Transfer Ticket, be sure to study the rules.

• The thread ‘Zermatt to Locarno on a Swiss Transfer Ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.