Zurich to Lauterbrunnen, train connection question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 12:55:41 #813139

Hi, will be travelling Sept 17 from Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen. After reading all forums, I am still confused about the connections. What are the two connections and do I need to exit train? Also, how do I make sure I am on train going Ost east? Appreciate any advice!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 14:33:57 #869253

Hi JillClark and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I can certainly help. It is easiest to use the timetable here and then use an example you can follow.
    I don’t know when you are traveling but let’s use September 5 as an example and at 12:00.

The first train listed after you hit the search button is the 12:18 heading to Geneva airport with 3 connections. It shows an arrival at 14:55 in Lauterbrunnen – with changes in Bern (6 minutes to change), Spiez (7 minutes to change) and Interlaken Ost (7 minutes to change).

The timetable will tell you what track you are arriving on and what track your next track is departing from (and the direction of the train IE the final destination of the train).

So on this train you have to leave and get on another train 3 times (at those 3 stations). 6 or 7 minutes isn’t great but isn’t horrible either. If you have a normal ticket or rail pass then you can just hop on the next train if you miss the connection (no harm no foul but the need to wait for 20 or 30 minutes maybe).

You can also go to the advanced settings on the timetable (hit change, then advanced search and scroll down and select a longer duration of transfer: 10, 20 or 30 minutes.

If you have a smartphone I would highly recommend getting the SBB mobile App for real-time schedules/timetables of the trains.

Let me know if that makes sense!
    PS some trains have 3 connections and some have 2 on this route. You can choose whichever one you want.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 19:06:52 #869254

I just did a trip with three connections. By taking screenshots of the suggested routes page and then of each leg of my journey, I had something I could refer to prior to arrival at each change, so I knew which track to head to.

There is a sign on each track and on each car stating their final destination. When going to Lauterbrunnen, this is important as you need the cars in zone A or B because those in C and D split off to go to Grindelwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 20:04:09 #869255

TY! I am taking the 2:23 min trip with 2 stops. First in Bern and then Interlachen Ost. I could not find ‘suggested routes page’ on this site?? Also, for a roundtrip to Lauterbrunnen and back to airport a week later, what train pass would you recommend? Thank you for zone A and B advice-i couldn’t find answer previously. Also, just to verify, in Interlachen Ost I want Ost east not west correct?

Jill

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 September 2017 at 20:23:14 #869256

Hi.

Interlaken has 2 railway stations. Trains arrive first at Interlaken West before heading to Interlaken Ost (Interlaken East), which is where you need to change for Lauterbrunnen, so don’t get off at the first station. The stations aren’t very far apart, so when the train arrives at West, start getting ready to disembark at Ost.

Cheers

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 20:51:40 #869257

You should make up a tentative itinerary to see if the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass or one of the Swiss Rail passes is the best. Go to the “How To Travel” section and select “Rail Passes and Tickets“. You can then read about what each pass covers. There is also a spreadsheet to help you calculate the best pass based on your plans – http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

There are screens in each rail car telling the upcoming stations and announcements, which are also in English.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 September 2017 at 1:47:58 #869258

Hi Jill,

To complete your roundtrip consider going via Luzern on your way back to Zurich. More scenic than faster Bern route. Or maybe you will visit Luzern from Lauterbrunnen at some stage?

• The thread ‘Zurich to Lauterbrunnen, train connection question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.