Zurich Airport to Zermatt via Kandersteg Sept 13

• StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    27 June 2018 at 16:28:58 #816923

I have a upcoming trip flying into Zurich in the morning of Sept 13 and want to take the train to Zermatt.

MySwissAlps suggested the route via Kandersteg for a more scenic route.

I checked this morning and SBB website displays this route starting at CHF 64.50 but doesn’t let me purchase saying “Your selected date of travel is not within the advanced booking period”

My flight is scheduled to land at 8:30 and was thinking the 11:18 train would give me time to get through customs.

Do I need to purchase this train ticket in advance?

Is there any savings by purchasing in advance?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 5:51:53 #889570

Ticket prices remain the same so not to worry about that. Tickets don’t guarantee you a seat (they never sell out) so buying on the spot is fine – boarding first is more important. 🙂

Trains from Zurich airport typically start there (so they are empty when you board). Then you’ll change in Bern and Brig which may or may not be busy but I’ve never been stuck standing on a Swiss train for more than 10 minutes.

You should be through customs and out the airport by 09:30 or so.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 10:09:29 #889571

>> flying into Zurich in the morning of Sept 13 and want to take the train to Zermatt … SBB website displays this route starting at CHF 64.50 but doesn’t let me purchase saying “Your selected date of travel is not within the advanced booking period”

You can only buy online tickets on the SBB website up to 60 days in advance of your travel date.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 June 2018 at 5:56:37 #889572

Hi Steve,

Buying tickets well in advance can be done here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland /price. The price you saw is for people who have a Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. If you don’t have one you would pay twice that price. If you are also going back to the airport and do some local day trips it is worth it to get one. There are more passes that may save you money but that depends on your overall itinerary: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    29 June 2018 at 13:47:43 #889573

Thank you for the input. I think I will wait until I get thru customs before purchasing a train that way I can do the earlier train. I plan on getting a half fare card and believe I can get that when I land also.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 15:16:48 #889574

Just so you know, train tickets in Switzerland are valid all day whether bought at the station or on online – When you buy a ticket for a 11:18 train you can take any train that day.

The only exception is for Supersaver tickets (marked with a % sign on the timeable). They are only valid for the time you buy it for.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    29 June 2018 at 15:39:51 #889575

Thank you Lucas, very good to know.

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    30 June 2018 at 10:28:28 #889576

May I suggest something- airoport Zurich has SBB tourist agency . They will answer all your questions precisely and you will buy correct pass or passes over there . Also train tickets which is helpful in the beginning . You can even exchange money there ( not sure about being best rate but good Incase if you didn’t do it beforehand ).

It is very easy to find it in main airport building .

When you done there you take elevator down to train stop . You also need to validate your ticket . That is important .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 14:52:16 #889577

Hi Nbunim,

It is very rare to need to validate any ticket or rail pass in Switzerland – which pass/ticket did you need to validate?

Nbunim
    Participant
    19 posts
    30 June 2018 at 15:57:44 #889578

I didn’t say validate pass . Train tickets . Before you board any train you need to put your ticket in machine which is on every platform to get a stamp .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 6:27:40 #889579

Hi Nbunim,

I have never had to validate a train ticket or rail pass in Switzerland before. I’m not saying you didn’t need to with your ticket, but it is pretty rare and I was surprised you had a ticket that required it be be stamped by one of those orange validation machines.

• The thread ‘Zurich Airport to Zermatt via Kandersteg Sept 13’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.