Zurich-Bern-Wengen-Luzern rail pass options

• Mamaco
    Participant
    19 posts
    21 October 2018 at 13:00:57 #818760

We (3 adults) will be travelling to Switzerland in July 2019 spending 8 days in all.

We will land at Zurich Airport and travel to Berne for the first night and remain there all day (Day 1).

Late eveing we will transfer to Wengen for 3 nights (Day 2, 3 and 4). We plan to visit Jungfrau (top-of-Europe) on one of the days. Interlaken in the evenings and some villages and a lake (by cable car and ferry) during the 2 other days.

We would like to travel to Lucerne from Interlaken by taking the Golden Pass train on Day 4 (in the evening).

We will spend Days 5, 6 and 7 in Luzern. Our plan is to visit Mount Pilatus and Mount Rigi while going round Luzern itself.

Day 8 – return to Zurich airport.

Which pass or passes should we consider? I did some homework and it seems they all add up to the same more or less. The choice is the Swiss Travel Pass or Flexi, the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, Tell Pass and Jungfrau Pass. A combination might do as well.

If we opt for regional passes, is there any way to get reduced fares for Zurich – Bern and Luzern – Zurich?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 6:20:48 #898194

Hi Mamaco and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’d be surprised if all the passes worked out the same or at least that close for your 8 day itinerary. Especially considering regional passes that won’t cover some areas you want to do and you’ll need to buy regular tickets for some trips. But doing the math will tell you for sure and I won’t argue with the math. 🙂

If you didn’t find our page already on how to chose the best rail pass for your trip (with our spreadsheet) be sure to check it out for more help: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

If you have a regional pass only, then you don’t get any discounts on trips outside the regional passes validity area.

Sometimes a regional pass plus a Swiss Half Fare Card could work out (or just the Swiss Half Fare Card perhaps) but it wouldn’t be as convenient as the Swiss Travel Pass (often ticket-less travel) so I wouldn’t consider that unless the savings was a fair bit.

• The thread ‘Zurich-Bern-Wengen-Luzern rail pass options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.