Zurich one day pass vs half fare pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2015 at 21:24:21 #807788

Hi,

I am travelling to Switzerland for 5 days and will be buying a half fare card as most of my journeys are small. Tentative itinerary –

29th Aug – Zurich

30th aug – Zurich to Lucerne n Mt titlis

31st Aug – Lucerne bit touring then to Interlaken, Interlaken to Grindelwald

1st Sep – jungfraujoch

2nd Sep – Grindelwald to Interlaken – Interlaken bit of touring n then to Zurich

3rd Sep – Zurich airport

1. Pls suggest if half fare card is indeed better

2. For day 1, is half fare card enough or do I also buy Zurich pass?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2015 at 22:43:02 #845528

Sounds like a great trip.

Keep an eye on the weather…you might want to carefully pick the best day for the Jungfrau. Looking at clouds through clouds up there is an overpriced activity.

Be flexible on your date for the Jungfrau.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2015 at 22:53:35 #845529

Hi Slowpoke, agree – I am worried how jungfraujoch weather would be – is there a way to get confirmed update on weather from Lucerne itself? Say, I get to know 31st is really good…I will rush to Grindelwald than loitering around! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2015 at 23:10:43 #845530

<<“I will rush to Grindelwald than loitering around! :)”>>

Don’t have the specific details, but the idea is to contact the tourist info for the towns, jungfrau, and related areas, and see what they are saying.

I might add that the area is a wonderful experience on its own…loitering is well rewarded.

Slowpoke.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 August 2015 at 8:29:06 #845531

The Swiss Half Fare Card seems like a good choice for me. If you want to do the math to compare with a Swiss Travel Pass you can find instructions here.

Which ticket or pass you need for day 1 depends on your plans in Zurich. All of the center can easily be explored on foot, but a boat ride is a very nice additional attraction. If you need tickets for trams, buses or boats you’ll get a discount on that with your Swiss Half Fare Card.

• The thread ‘Zurich one day pass vs half fare pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.