Zurich road trip to Paris in December

• Wen988
    Participant
    5 posts
    13 July 2022 at 15:34:58 #827764

Dear All

My first upcoming trip to Switzerland mid December, I had booked a car rental for 14 days & plan to do a cross border drive from Zurich airport to Paris.

I do understand Switzerland have the best transportation but we be use to self drive for all our holiday vacation & knowing TGV is the best way to Paris but we can’t do a early return for my car rent might need to pay a penalty

Can anyone able help to advise road trip is it safe on December Zurich to Paris

Much Appreciated

With Many Thanks

Warmest Regards

Wen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2022 at 22:56:47 #944266

I driven across France to Switzerland many times in December and it has been without problem. Driving across Europe is perfectly safe in December, but you should bear in mind the following points:

1) the number of daylight hours is low, so you would be driving in darkness at any time before 08.00 and after 16.45

2) bad weather can be a problem, if you are unlucky it could be foggy and / or wet, and/ or snowing. If you are lucky it could be sunny and crisp weather.

Wen988
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 July 2022 at 1:57:28 #944267

Thank you so much to clear my worries drive cross border road trip, we land Zurich at 6am will start our driving trip to Paris, please do help to correct me is this road drive 6.5 hours to Paris or shorter road?

Start in Zurich, Basel, Besancon, Dijon, Avallon, Fontainebleau, arrive in Paris

Is Switzerland using google map for Navigator?

Hope to hear from the above

Many Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 8:32:57 #944268

Hi Wen988 and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

I use Google Maps to plan driving routes and I always add an extra 1 hr because of the unseen traffic jams, when I plan. Plus the stops (for rest) of course.

According to Google Maps, I can see a route of 605 km, as the fastest way. Zurich – Basel – Mulhouse – Troyes – Paris. You do not have to drive through Besancon and Dijon.

At http://www.myswissalps.com/car you’ll find some practical tips regarding driving a car in Switzerland.

Take care,
    Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2022 at 23:00:04 #944269

I have driven from France to and from Switzerland 100s of times. I recommend the following route:

Zurich – Basel

Basel – Mulhouse (Autoroute A35)

Mulhouse – Belfort (A36)

Belfort – Vesoul – Langres (‘Route Nationale’ N19)

Langres – Chanoy (A31 motorway junction) (N19)

Chanoy – Troyes – Paris (A5)

I know all these roads well and in general they are nicer and less busy than some of the roads on the route you quoted

Wen988
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 July 2022 at 0:45:12 #944270

Hi 1960man & IIdiko

Thanks you so much for recommendations road route to Paris

Appreciated

Wen

Wen988
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 July 2022 at 1:21:51 #944271

Hi 1960man & IIdiko

After 13hrs long flight from Singapore to Zurich will start our driving route to Paris

We will like to stop over 1 night stay along to Paris road trip, do you have good recommendations

Many Thanks

Wen

Anna
    6355 posts
    15 July 2022 at 7:34:16 #944272

Hi Wen,

It depends on which route you take. The last time my family and Itravelled to Paris with a car, we made a quick stop in Dijon. It’s a really nice city. The whole journey took about 6 hours (we live abt 20 mins from Zurich).

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2022 at 22:16:36 #944273

Using my route, you could drive the fairly short distance from Zurich to Belfort. Hotel prices in France are far cheaper than Switzerland so Mulhouse would be an alternative, but I recommend Belfort. It is a historic city with a fortifications, city walls, old town and fort, plus a very fine covered market hall

http://www.belfort-tourisme.com/en/

Wen988
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 July 2022 at 6:26:17 #944274

Dear Anna & 1960man

Thanks both for your kind advise

Wen

• The thread ‘Zurich road trip to Paris in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.