Zurich to Appenzell, St. Gallen, Wildkirchli

• Yulius1970
    Participant
    33 posts
    23 October 2021 at 3:11:22 #826201

Hi,

Plese help me for advice itinerary if from Zurich ( by train Swiss Travel Pass ) we want to visit : Appenzell ( museum, village ) , St Gallen ( old town, Abbey ) dan visit Wildkirchi,

What is the best route from Zurich and back to Zurich .

Thankyou

regards

Yulius

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    23 October 2021 at 8:02:03 #937015

Hi Yulius,

If you plan to visit these places in a single day, my suggested route would be as follows: Zurich – Wasserauen – Appenzell – St. Gallen – Zurich
    Please use the SBB timetable to plan your journey: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

1. Take the earliest train out from Zurich to Wasserauen (Ebenalpbahn). This journey takes about 2 hours. The train station is located across the street from the Ebenalpbahn cable car station. The cable car that takes you to the Wildkirchli Hut runs every 15 minutes from 7.30 am. More information here: http://www.ebenalp.ch/en/welcome

2. From Wasserauen, there is a direct local train that takes you to Appenzell in 15 minutes. The Appenzell Village Museum is about 5 mins walk from the train station.

3. After exploring Appenzell, take the regional train to St Gallen (you probably have to switch trains in Herisau). Spend the rest of the day exploring St Gallen before heading back to Zurich. There are numerous regional trains between Zurich and St. Gallen.

With the Swiss Travel Pass, all train rides are covered and there’s no need to buy additional train tickets. In addition, you will get 50% discounts on the cable car tickets to Ebenalp and free entrance to the Appenzell Museum with the Swiss Museum Pass that comes with the STP.

I hope this gives you some ideas to plan your day trip.

Regards,
    Anna

Yulius1970
    Participant
    33 posts
    23 October 2021 at 10:22:54 #937016

Dear Anna

I think the Itinerary is the best for me to start early in the morning from Zurich and in the evening back to Zurich.

Thank you for your kindness

regards

Yulius

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    29 October 2021 at 15:25:56 #937017

Yulius, while in the town of Appenzell, I have heard the chocolate factory is worthy visiting. Here is some info for you if you like chocolate. 🙂 Larry

Chocolaterie (Chocolate Factory) Appenzell GmbH: Hauptgasse 16, Café-Conditorei Fässler. 0800-1830.

In the “Chocolat Manufacture Appenzell”, innovative chocolate creations merge with traditional Appenzell specialties from the confectionery shop at Café Fässler. In the middle of Hauptgasse, new Appenzell specialty dreams made of chocolate and other well-known sweets such as “Chlausebickli” (Bärli Biber) or the well-known and repeatedly copied “Marweesli” are being created in the traditional house.

Yulius1970
    Participant
    33 posts
    29 October 2021 at 15:55:10 #937018

Dear Swede4life Thank you for your information , I will visit the Chocolate Factory in my visit.

regards

Yulius

• The thread ‘Zurich to Appenzell, St. Gallen, Wildkirchli’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.