Zurich to Felsenegg with Lake Zurich Ferry

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2017 at 10:56:44 #813649

I will be travelling to Zurich next April and my travel partner has no interest in going to Felsenegg or doing the ferry on Lake Zurich so I plan to do this on my own. I am hoping to tie the two things together. Is this doable? Any idea how long this would take as we are only spending one day in Zurich before heading to Lucerne and I do also want to have some time to explore old town. I do plan on buying a Swiss Pass so believe other than the 5 CHF charge for the ferry all should be included. Looks like I can take the train from Zurich to Adliswil and then walk to where I would get the cable car. When I come back down can I get the ferry at Adliswil and then take the ferry back to Zurich? We plan on staying somewhere in old town near the train station so I thought I could either walk or take a tram from where the ferry docks in Zurich or am I best to take a train? Thank you for any input in sorting this all out.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2017 at 14:13:33 #871777

Hi Lindayork and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are a couple of options for you to make this trip together.
    To reach Felsenegg you can train there from Zurich main station and then make the 5 minute walk to the cable car.
    You can also visit Uetliberg mountain from Zurich main station and then enjoy a panoramic walk (1h 45m) to Felsenegg (great option if it is a nice day!) and then take the cable car down.

Either way, once you want to take a boat cruise, the closest dock would Rüschlikon,see or Thalwil, see. both about a 20 minute bus ride from Adliswil. Then you can then board a ferry back to Zurich (Bürkliplatz).

A walk from Zurich main station to Bürkliplatz is about 20 minutes or you can take a tram there (#11) in about 10 minutes.

From more details use the following links:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 November 2017 at 2:17:05 #871778

Hi LindaYork-

In addition to the thorough information provided by Lucas, I recommend a look at a map.

map.search.ch/?pos=681393,240523&z=25 6

I have zoomed the map in to Felsenegg. It is the cableway station in the center. Mouse over it.

Once you have it located, zom out to get the lay of the land.

That cable car is “self- service.” No operator. Bring some Swiss coins with you to access it.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 8:46:42 #871779

When I was there in the somewhere it had a proper ZVV ticket machine so credit cards would work as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 8:50:22 #871780

With all the transport options you are looking for throughout the day, have a look at a 9'oclock day pass.
    Or a ZurichCard.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 November 2017 at 9:29:18 #871781

<<“When I was there in the somewhere it had a proper ZVV ticket machine so credit cards would work as well.”>>

Thanks Lucas. I used to routinely fill a jet-lag afternoon , by walking from Uetliberg to Felsenegg, riding down to Adliswil, and then returning to my hotel. I used to stay always on Uetliberg at UTO-Kulm, before Herr Fry upgraded the hotel and the prices. Nowadays….since about 2004, I am a regular at the Adler, am Hirschenplatz. You know their kitchen.

It has been a while since I have done that walk , so I had not kept up with the modern improvements….a ticket machine that takes credit cards. Thoughtful, these Swiss. 😉 Of course, there always was one at the bottom, at Adliswil station.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 10:57:15 #871782

Lucas & Slowpoke,

Thank you so much for the detailed information and suggestions. This is very helpful. Because we are also visiting Lucerne and Basel requiring multiple train trips, use of public transportation, ferry and cable car rides in Zurich and Lucerne as well as hoping to visit at least a couple of museums I am thinking a Swiss Pass would work well for us. Even if we spend a few dollars more or break even I think the ease of use and flexibility to change our plans makes it an excellent choice for us. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2017 at 13:21:38 #871783

Hi Linda,

Yes, most likely the Swiss Travel Pass would be a good bet for you. It will certainly be the easiest/simplest option!
    It depends on how many trips you make and how long you are in Switzerland. If you want to read more about how to choose the best rail pass click here.

To buy the Swiss Travel Pass online and have it emailed to you for printing at home click here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2017 at 9:53:54 #871784

Lucas,

Thanks again for all the great information to help plan my trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 10:04:10 #871785

Lucas.

I have one other question regarding the Swiss Pass and trains. Our itinerary using the train system will be from Zurich Airport to Old Town, Old Town to Lucerne and then Lucerne to Basel. I initially thought all of these trips would be included with the Swiss Pass but it looks like some of the way to Basel from Lucerne is a dotted red line. Am I correct that this part is not included with the pass and if so, how much extra will that portion of our trip be? Thanks for your assistance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 11:36:33 #871786

Hi Linda,

>> it looks like some of the way to Basel from Lucerne is a dotted red line. Am I correct that this part is not included with the pass

That whole trip is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. The line you are referring to is a dashed line rather than a dotted line, and indicates a tunnel 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2017 at 12:35:12 #871787

Yes, those dashed-lines versus dotted-lines are such a strange thing to put on that map – very confusing at first!
    I don’t know what is wrong with their graphics department to not differentiate it more! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2017 at 11:02:15 #871788

Alpenrose666 and Lucas,

Thank you so much for all your assistance. This is such a great forum!

• The thread ‘Zurich to Felsenegg with Lake Zurich Ferry’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.