How to get from Zurich to Murren in the evening

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 23:01:40 #814039

Our family of four (kids 8 & 11 years old) will be arriving to Zurich Airport at 19:30 in July. We have 6 nights in Switzerland and would like to spend nights 2-3 in Murren and 4-6 nights in Lucerne. I have two questions. Since we get in later, where should we stay the first night and what is the best way to get there? We will have already spent time flying that day, so I’d like the shortest route which could include a taxi, train, shuttle, or a combination of the above that is reasonably affordable. I’ve looked at taking the train to Bern or Lucerne and then a taxi to Lauterbrunnen, but I’m not sure on the best option.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2018 at 2:10:54 #874331

Hello amweightman and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Why not just go direct from Zurich Airport to Lucerne and do your Lucerne stay at the start of your trip. Take a direct train that doesn’t require a change in downtown Zurich. You will be in Lucerne in 1 hour.

Or perhaps you already have made bookings in Mürren.

The Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will give you the fastest route. I doubt you could reach Mürren until almost midnight given your arrival time in Zurich Airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 4:57:29 #874332

>> Our family of four (kids 8 & 11 years old) will be arriving to Zurich Airport at 19:30 in July. We have 6 nights in Switzerland and would like to spend nights 2-3 in Murren and 4-6 nights in Lucerne. I have two questions. Since we get in later, where should we stay the first night and what is the best way to get there?

Trying to get to Mürren after arriving at Zürich airport at 19:30 is going to be quite a challenge.

If you go the whole way by public transport, you would need to catch a train from the airport by 20:43 at the latest in order to catch the last cable car up to Mürren. On Saturdays the 21:43 from Zürich airport would also get you to the cable car in time. (Make sure to check these times yourself in the Swiss Timetable).

The big unknown is how long it will take to get through luggage collection and passport checks at the airport, and that is completely outside your control. You are setting yourself up for a rather stressful start to your holiday it seems 😉

Mürren is car-free, so however you get to Stechelberg, you need to be there in time to catch the last cable car up to Mürren at 23:45. If you miss that, there is no other way to get to Mürren until the following morning around 6am.

I would definitely recommend you start your holiday in Luzern.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 6:14:11 #874333

Thanks for your input. If I reverse the trip, is it easier to get to the Zurich Airport from Murren? Our flight leaves from Zurich at 14:00.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2018 at 6:21:41 #874334

Yes. The trip is just over 3 hours. If you leave around 8:30 you’ll be there by midday.

Just check the timetable link I suggested earlier for departure time options.

• The thread ‘How to get from Zurich to Murren in the evening’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.