How to get there & route details
How to travel to Bellinzona, and walking route details.
How to get there and back
You can travel to Bellinzona by train or by car. We recommend the train. The walk starts and ends at the train station. Please find more details here.
You can find the route on the map on this page. We offer detailed street by street directions as well:
- Exit the train station and turn left into the Viale Stazione towards the center of town.
- Keep walking straight ahead until you reach the square (Piazza Collegiata) after about 550 m.
- Continue straight ahead into the Via Nosetto. Continue into the Via Camminata. You'll quickly reach a square (Piazza Indipendenza).
- Turn right into the Via Dogana. Follow the street for 200 m until you've passed a small park on your right.
- Turn right, then turn right again (Piazza Governo) and enter the Via Teatro.
- You'll quickly see the town hall (Palazzo Civico) on your right. It pays off to have a look at the courtyard. The route continues left into the narrow alley Vicolo al Sasso up the hill.
- Turn right at the end of the alley. Then turn left after about 100 m to walk the last bit up the hill to reach Castelgrande castle.
- Take a look around the courtyard and the castle itself, then leave via the elevator at the eastern side of the castle grounds (see the map).
- The elevator takes you down to the Piazza del Sole (Sunny Square). Enter the Largo Elvezia at the opposite side of the square. Then turn left to reach the train station.