How to get there & route details
How to travel to Meggen and back from Lucerne, and hiking route details.
How to get there and back
Meggen can be reached by train. You'll need to get off the train at the stop Meggen Zentrum. It can be reached by car as well. You can travel to Meggen by boat as well. The name of the boat dock is "Meggen (See)", and it is located in front of the St. Charles Hall.
There are trains, buses and boats available from the Swiss Museum of Transport at the end of the walk. Alternatively, you can walk (35 minutes) or take public transport to the central station of Lucerne to find even more travel options there. Please see here for details.
Be sure to look into passes that may come in handy for this day trip and your other activities in Switzerland.
You can find the route on the map on this page. We offer detailed directions as well:
- From train stop Meggen Zentrum, follow the Benzeholzgasse towards the lake. Before you reach the lake, turn left into the park in front of the St. Charles Hall.
- At the end of the path, walk to the lake and follow the road along the lake in the opposite direction.
- Keep following the road, which is no longer directly on the lake now, and follow the signs to Meggenhorn and Luzern (Lucerne).
- About 100 m before you have reached Meggenhorn Castle, turn left towards the boat dock. The path gets you close to the lake, and you can turn left into a path to a statue of Jezus Christ, where you have a view of the lake and Luzern. Walk back and continue on the path back up to the castle with its beautiful garden.
- Then continue following the signs to Luzern. The hike ends at the Swiss Museum of Transport in Lucerne.