View Lake Thun in May, Bern to Interlaken route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 6:03:55 #820505

I’ll be driving from Bern to Interlaken. The route passes Lake Thun, south shore. Please suggest some good spots on this route where I can stop for sometime n enjoy the majestic view of Lake Thun. I will not have much time that day so not intending to take a boat ride, Just stop for some time to get a break from journey or grab a quick bite. So please suggest where can I make a quick stop. Any park or lakeside trail to stroll along the lake or any town which gives good view of the lake. A short detour is ok

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 March 2019 at 7:35:54 #907041

Hi Jakay –

There is a lakeside trail along the shore. I don’t know it all, but friends have a place at Faulensee, and the views from there are nice.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 19985.61&N=1169759.56& zoom=9

This one is a long shot.

Thirty years ago, on our first trip to Switzerland as a couple, we stopped for lunch in Spiez. We walked across the street from the main station, to a restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the lake;

As far as I can tell from a look at the maps, that place still exists, as the Brasserie 66. There is parking under the Migros next door.

map.search.ch/?pos=618596,170573&z=40 96&poi=gastro

The Forum rules request that you provide some information about your travel dates to help us help you :

<<“How to write

Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;”>>

Your question was quite clear, but, since i don’t know when you are traveling, I cannot tell if that possibility is an option. It may be too cold.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    20 March 2019 at 9:12:32 #907042

Hi Jakay,

As Slowpoke mentions, Spiez is a nice and quiet place on Lake Thun. That implies you are driving along the south shore, presumably on Autobahn N6.

An alternative would be the north shore. The road is narrower but more scenic. You could grab your quick bite at Merligen. And if you have a spare hour you could stop at Beatenbucht and ride the funicular up to Beatenberg with a stunning view on the lake from above.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 12:42:12 #907043

Hi Jakay

I believe your trip is in May judging by your other posts? I hope this is correct. I think you have some good suggestions already from our experts! To read more about Lake Thun, you can visit http://www.myswissalps.com/la kethun

These links might also help:

Have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 March 2019 at 17:36:19 #907044

Hello Jakay,

So you are driving from Berne to Interlaken. That isn’t a very long distance at all. When do plan to leave Berne and when you have to be in Interlaken ? I ask this because you say << I will not have much time that day >> and it would be helpful for everybody if we knew how much time you actually do have. You say that you would like to << stop for sometime n enjoy the majestic view of Lake Thun >>.

If you really only have a short amount of time that day, I would agree with Snowman’s suggestion that you take the route on the north shore, the Seestrasse. You will pass through scenic Oberhofen, with a lovely castle (schloss) and on via Merligen to Interlaken. This road, unlike the A6 and A8 on the south shore goes right along the water’s edge, and you will enjoy the views towards the lake and the mountains to the south and east. If you do have the time, Snowman’s suggestion of stopping at Beatenbucht and going up on the funicular to Beatenberg is a good one. Not only will you have a great view of Lake Thun, but the views towards the Eiger, Mönch, and the Jungfrau are spectacular.

As you drive along the north shore and look across the lake you will also see the Niesen, known as the Swiss Pyramid. As far as I am concerned, the views of Lake Thun from the top of the Niesen are unrivalled. If you have a spare day during your stay in the Interlaken area, you might want to consider the Niesenbahn, Their season starts on May 10, just 50 days away.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 2:05:47 #907045

Thank you all so much for your valuable suggestions. You all make planning so easy.

Driving on north shore of lake Thun visiting Oberhofen and Merligen is a very good suggestion. That’s what I was looking for. Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 2:26:53 #907046

Both roads along the lake have small car parks at various places. It’s up to you

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 March 2019 at 3:27:24 #907047

Hello Jakay,

I would say that you have made the good choice. As you can see from the attached map, the road along the north shore of the lake is beside the water for its entire distance (not so for the roads on the south shore) and offers more than ample chances to pull off and park. I can also tell you that the traffic on the north route will be much less busy. The added bonus of the north route (as suggested by Snowman) is that you will have the opportunity to go up to Beatenberg if you have the time and the desire. I am glad to hear that you are thinking of visiting Oberhofen and Merligen. It is lovely along there, so much so that I once considered buying a place in Tschingel, not that far from Oberhofen but higher off the water.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 6:10:27 #907048

Thank u so much for all the detailed info.

I am planning a 4-5 days trip to Switzerland in July. Right now, I am exploring options of different places to visit in Bernese Oberland area. Nothing is booked yet ( flights, trains, hotel bookings). Will do all the reservations once I finalize my itinerary and number of days to visit

This is my tentative itinerary as of now,

Day 1…Arrive in Basel from Paris by train. Rent a car at Basel station ( I hope there are car pick up locations/offices near station). Will arrive mid morning and then head to Bern and spend few hours for sight seeing. Will leave Bern around 5 pm. Head to Interlaken. On the way, visit Thun. Oberhofen, Merligen to enjoy Lake Thun scenery and arrive in Interlaken. for 4 night stay

Day 2…Visit Joungfraujoch at the top and in the evening visit Interlaken, harder Kulm etc

Day 3…Take Golden Pass train to Lucern. Visit Mt Pilatus and do Lucerne sight seeing. Return back to Interlaken

Day 4…Visit Lauterbrunnen, Gimmelwald, Murren and Schilthorn. Also visit Grindelwald and either do Glacier walk or go to First for some adventurous activities

I am aware that Switzerland has excellent public transport system, so not sure if I will rent car. If I don’t, then may add 1 day and visit Bern, lake Thun, Oberhofen, Go up to Beatenberg and Mt Niesen etc.

How does this sound? Any suggestions? Any other places I can visit in this area?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 March 2019 at 8:29:33 #907049

Hi Jakay-

The tourist season starts in late June in the Alps. Early July is not too crowded, but the tourist density increases as the month progresses, and once schools have closed for the summer, and particularly as many Europeans have vacations in August., the density reaches a peak in August. The seasons have evened out a bit, as traffic density from many Asian countries has increased in recent years, and is not synchronized with the European patterns. September is calmer, except for the marathon weekend, and the weather – on average – is better.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

The north shore is as described, and is an excellent idea, if you drive, with one minor exception. Specifically, Last year I chose to stay in Thun on the Saturday of the Jungfrau marathon, September 8th, and then drove to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen along the north shore on Sunday about midday. The road was “ein Stau” – a traffic jam – of slow moving northbound cars from about half way between Merligen and Günten. Southbound was easy. Of course, I could not really look at the scenery unless I stopped and pulled off the road, because I was driving.

I assume that you will not be let lagged, since you will be coming from Paris.

Your itinerary as described fits well to train travel. The one place where a car is notably faster – one hour roughly as opposed to just under 2 hours by train – is the scenic journey from Interlaken Ost to Luzern. You have selected the train for that journey anyway. Also, if you have a group of people, rail passes or rail travel for all of them can be more expensive than renting a car. But, the car is an expensive pain in the neck if you visit cities, and is of no use in car-free areas, such as much of the Jungfrau region. I have a travel pattern which disregards cost and maximizes convenience. After a couple of jet lag days in Zürich , visiting friends and eaing well, if expensively, I rent a car, use it to get to various villages where I stay, and use the train to go into all the cities and for most other journeys. Public transport to trail heads has diminished over the years, as more people use cars, so I find one useful for that , and for getting to out of the way places for photography. The attached panorama was taken on a hillside above Sumiswald in the Emmental, and a car was the only convenient way to get up there and check out several viewpoints over a period of a few days. I walke up above Trubschachen for the image of Trub. I do use a car to go into Luzern, sometimes, because it is not hard to go to the main station and leave the car there. Unless your hotel has some special parking arrangements ( my choice does not) you’ll end up spending on the order of 50 -60 USD to park overnight. Hardly an inexpensive process.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

You are wise to stay several days in the Jungfrau region. The weather my not be cooperative on any given day, and if you go up to Jungfraujoch when it is in the clouds, you get a very expensive view of the inside of clouds.

I like to stay in Wengen, actually in the Alps, because Interlaken has no charm (in my opinion) but with your travel plans, Interlaken is a good base. Day 4 might work better if you stay in Grindelwald, which is my least favorite town in the area. More commercial and more spread out than the other alpine villages.

<<“Any other places I can visit in this area?”>>

Just a few. You’d probably run out of them in 3 or 4 weeks. 😉

Lots to do in the area:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

This link discusses the “where to stay” options:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Here a few more details:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

I really like this walk, in the direction towrd Kleine Scheidegg, becaus of the way that the Eiger grows over you as you walk the trail:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Your itinerary-

You have filled your days. I’d spend serious time with the timetable to work out the travel times. You may have trouble fitting in all the things that you list and doing justice to them..

Please make sure to read all of the tips and tricks on this page before diving into the timetable for the first time:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Your day #4 might not give you a lot of time to actually do much but look around rather quickly.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘View Lake Thun in May, Bern to Interlaken route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.