Grindelwald to Milan with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2018 at 13:14:31 #814490

Hi there, after much calculation between the Half fare and the Swiss pass, we’ve decided to go with the Half Fare Pass.

We leave Grindelwald to Milan through this route: Grindelwald >>Interlaken >> Spiez >>> Milan

Just need to understand the Half Fare Pass better – it only applies for Grindelwald all the way to Spiez only right? From Spiez to Milan would be full fare (do I need to book in advanced for seats too from http://www.trainline.eu)?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2018 at 14:58:23 #877087

Hi Sai771 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Half Fare Card is valid until the Swiss border. You need to buy a ticket from Grindelwald to Domodossola (as far as the SHFC will cover) then another ticket from Domodossola to Milan.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to see the trip and connections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2018 at 15:26:05 #877088

Thanks Lucas for the very prompt reply.

Ok I require more advice pls…

Route: Grindelwald >> Interlaken >> Spiez>>Milano Centrale

Challenges:

-From Interlaken track 2B to 8 in 6 mins do not seem possible

-at least 3 big Luggage

-Older Parents who can’t walk that fast

Info on Interlaken OST >> Spiez: Departure 13 April – Timings 11:29, 13:29

Safer way: Should we take 11:49 (Grindelwald) and reach 12:23 (Interlaken OST Track 2B) and take 13:29(Interlaken OST Track 8) train to Spiez (track 2 to 3 (Milano Centrale) in 15mins w same challenges is possible right)?

Additional Question: Should we buy tickets at Grindelwald Station for 2 trains 11:49 Grindelwald >> 13:29Interlaken>>Spiez (would train timing be printed on ticket?)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 February 2018 at 22:15:16 #877089

Interlaken OST is not a large station. Check out where the platforms are on your way through on your way to Grindelwald.

You will need a reservation and ticket from Domodossola to Milan.

If you then buy a half-fare ticket Grindelwald to Domodossola you can take any trains you like as long as they get you there in time for the Domodossola departure.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 February 2018 at 6:04:15 #877090

Hello Rockoyster and Lucas,

Could not our travellers go from Domodossola to Locarno and then on via Lugano to Chiasso with the Swiss Half Fare Pass ? I realize that this route is longer than Domodossola direct to Milano but it is also a very scenic trip. From Chiasso to Milano a ticket from the FS (Italian State Railways) would be needed. I suspect this would be significantly cheaper than the Domodossola to Milano (direct) ticket.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2018 at 6:24:32 #877091

Hi Peterli,

It would actually be more expensive by the time you add in the half-fare ticket Domodossola to Chiasso (CHF32). Domodossola to Milano is CHF26. The Locarno route is around 3 hours longer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 15:15:09 #877092

Thanks rockyoyster. From Spiez to Milano centrale, when I was looking at the route, it didn’t include the place you mentioned Domodossola. I would think there is no need to leave the train from Spiez to Milano?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2018 at 20:28:44 #877093

Yes, you’ll stay on the train. Domodossola will just be an intermediate stop on the route. If you click on the train to expand the route then hit the little plus sign you’ll see intermediate stops.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 February 2018 at 21:59:03 #877094

Hello Rockoyster,

Thank you for working out the prices. I gather that the CHF 32 is the total cost from Domodossola to Milano via Locarno and the CHF 26 is the cost from Domodossola to Milano direct. If so, I am actually surprised that the difference is only CHF 6 ! As I stated in my previous message, I realize that the alternate route I was suggesting is longer (in kilometres) and thus more expensive in total cost. Also longer in time because of these additional kilometres, the speed of the train on certain stretches, and possibly some time between connections, which would not be a factor if one was just staying on the train and going on to Milano). I was just thinking that this alternate route would give our travelers an exciting run up to and through Italy’s Valle Vigezzo and then some views of the Ticino (the Centovalli, Locarno, Lugano, Monte San Salvatore and Lago di Lugano) which they would otherwise miss on the direct route to Milano. When I used the words “significantly cheaper” I was only referring to the portion of the trip that would be in Italy (Chiasso to Milano as compared to Domodossola to Milano). If the trip to Milano is time critical, then of course the alternate route I have provided would be out of the question. The attached map (Ticino South) which I clicked from an SBB map shows the route I had in mind.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2018 at 22:05:34 #877095

Hi Peterli,

There is no doubt your route is very nice if time is not of the essence and Sai now has the facts to make an informed decision.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 February 2018 at 22:55:42 #877096

Hi Rockoyster,

I was back and forth from my computer while editing my previous message and didn’t notice that you had already responded ! Yes, I always try to encourage visitors to see and experience all parts of Switzerland, especially since I feel that we don’t see much about the Italian and many of the French parts of this country on this site. Not a complaint, just an observation. Thanks again !

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 February 2018 at 14:26:39 #877097

Hi Peterli,

A Ticino section is planned. Good to know perhaps 🙂 Hope to finalize that later this year. What’s also planned is adding more information to the Lake Geneva area: http://www.myswissalps.com/so uthwestswitzerland.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    26 February 2018 at 18:05:06 #877098

HI Arno,

It is great news to see that a Ticino section is being planned. Next I will be suggesting a section for the Three Lakes (Neuchâtel, Morat, and Bienne) and the areas to the west of them in Vaud, Neuchâtel, Jura, and indeed the Bernese Jura. I realize that the name of this forum is “MySwissAlps”, not “MySwitzerland”, but I believe that for a foreigner to truly appreciate the amazing diversity of this country, both physiographically and culturally, one should experience (if time permits) not only the areas normally referred to but the above-mentioned parts of the country as well. I do appreciate that Lausanne, Geneva, and Basel are featured even though they too are not in the alpine part of Switzerland.

I see that you are closing in on 10,000 posts. That is amazing and I find that they are always very thoughtful and well-articulated.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 February 2018 at 13:16:50 #877099

Hi Peterli,

Those are good suggestions, I will certainly keep them in mind. Indeed we focus on the Alps but in reality any area that people are interested in deserves a place here. It’s a lot of work though, so no promises 🙂

Thank you for your kind compliments!

• The thread ‘Grindelwald to Milan with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.