Where are fireworks on Swiss National Day August 1

• 4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 December 2017 at 20:44:02 #813775

We will be in Switzerland on August 1st. Where would be the best place to see fireworks?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2017 at 21:51:03 #872599

Hello 4orgam and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Could you please be more specific about which part of Switzerland you will be? Thanks.

4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    4 December 2017 at 22:12:41 #872600

I am still planning my trip. I would most likely be in Zermatt, Montreau or Geneva, because I fly out of Geneva on the morning of Aug 3rd

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 December 2017 at 7:42:32 #872601

Thank you 4orgam. I would recommend the fireworks in Ouchy, the district located south of the city of Lausanne. They have magnificent fireworks. It’s not far from Montreux and on the way to Geneva. You could also book a special cruise with CGN and watch it from a boat. Keep an eye on their website for special offers closer to the event date.

Good luck with planning your trip. You might find the following information helpful:

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 December 2017 at 8:04:37 #872602

Hi,

I did some searching and apparently it is still early to see programs for 2018. You may have to wait a while and check in a month or so, but while waiting, you might find this interesting:This outlines all kinds of activities all along the Vaudois Riviera (from Vevey as far as Villeneuve) for the 2017 Fête Nationale celebrations. http://www.montreuxriviera.co m/en/Z4849 The lake is narrower at this end so one can see fireworks in more distant locations as well as an added bonus. May I assume that you are interested in fireworks that are synchronized to music ? Or is this not important to you ?

As for fireworks in Geneva, I believe you will be leaving Switzerland too early to see these, as I suspect they will only be on August 12, 2018. http://www.fetesdegeneve.ch/2 017/fr/ It’s too bad you won’t be around on August 12 to see the fireworks, set to music, of course, in Geneva. Here is a short video of the August 12, 2017 Geneva presentation, taken from a drone ! youtu.be/P1HKYebk_nA

4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    6 December 2017 at 1:42:26 #872603

Peterli

That is fantastic, I wish I had known earlier I could have booked my tickets differently.

Thanks for the info.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 December 2017 at 4:03:48 #872604

Hello again,

Just in case you are able to change your booking I should also bring to your attention the amazing fireworks that are presented each year in Annecy, France, which is less than an hour’s drive from Geneva (see attached map). Here, each year on the first Saturday of the month of August, for seventy minutes, the bay at Annecy is the location of the largest pyrotechnical presentation in all of Europe. In fact, there is a friendly rivalry between the cities of Geneva and Annecy. Here is a link to everything about la Fête du lac d’Annecy: http://www.annecy.fr/551-fete-du-lac-d-annecy.htm Here also is a short video of part of the show from this year. youtu.be/rIyDMMYrSlw I love pyromusical presentations, but since I have been to neither Geneva nor Annecy to compare shows, I couldn’t say which is better. And of course, each year they are different, so even then you can never be sure. What you can be sure of is that both of them are fan-tas-tique !

If you don’t get to change your travel dates for 2018 I hope this information will be useful when you make plans to come back to Switzerland some other year, hopefully very soon.

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    7 December 2017 at 7:09:01 #872605

Fireworks in Zermatt are great as is the street festival and food. Was last there 01 August 2014.

clarksm67
    Participant
    16 posts
    7 December 2017 at 20:37:26 #872606

I was in Zermatt Aug 1st 2017. The fire works were amazing. ( they were not set to music)

Steve

• The thread ‘Where are fireworks on Swiss National Day August 1’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.