Which mountain to visit from Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2015 at 8:14:26 #807085

i have one day in Lucerne and would appreciate advice on which mountain to visit: pilatus, titlus or rigi?

I am also interested in Jungfrau and schilthorn mountains but I am told this is too far to visit in a day if I am travelling from Lucerne. Is this true?

Additionally, is it advisable to take a tour up the mountains or is it possible to visit them on our own?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    17 April 2015 at 13:55:42 #842515

Hi jessicasam,

The mountains you have in mind are all very different and all worth a day trip. It’s really up to you which one meets your interests best. The pages below provide a lot of details, and pictures, so that hopefully helps to make a choice:

Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn require many hours of traveling if you want to visit them as a day trip from Lucerne. It’s possible, but not recommended with so many other wonderful mountains much closer by.

A tour is not required. All mountains can easily be visited on your own. In some cases there are tours available if you prefer that. Please see the pages above for details.

I hope this helps; if not, please feel free to post back here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 April 2015 at 0:06:33 #842516

<<“I am also interested in Jungfrau and schilthorn mountains but I am told this is too far to visit in a day if I am travelling from Lucerne. Is this true? “>>

As Annika has noted….you can do it, but you have no time there to appreciate the expensive trip up to the Jungfraujoch. Scenic trip, but too long.

I have attached some train schedules, on a random day, to and from.

I like the Rigi because I can walk on it… lots of nice trails. Many places of interest. Good views.

I enjoy Pilatus because it is a rail engineering marvel and spectacular mountain. Not much in the way of trails at the top. Some very short walks, only. Really, a very small place. And, a restaurant. Great views.

I don’t know Titlis.

Lucerne itself is a charming and interesting town. Worth some time.

Visit the Jesuitenkirche and the Bourbaki Panorama. The Lion of Lucerne. The Rosengart collection ( Klee’s and Picassos, among others), the Picasso museum….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2015 at 2:13:00 #842517

Thank you both very much for your advice! I have decided to go to Mt Rigi. Here’s my tentative itinerary:

from Lucerne, take a boat to Vitznau and then the cog railway to Rigi Kulm. From there, walk the following route:

Rigi kulm – kulmhutte – upper schwandihutte – des alpes – rigi klosterli – heiri hutte – first – rigi kaltbad

from there, take a cable car to Weggis and the boat back to Lucerne.

we will be travelling on 2nd July. I would appreciate any advice on the route I have planned. I’m travelling with my mother, who is reasonably fit but she has joint problems and would not do well with steep inclines/declines.

additionally, do we need to book tickets in advance for the cable car/boat trip/cog railway? How do we find the schedules for them?

also, how will we navigate ourselves on our walk? Will there be signs, for example, to point us the way to go from rigi kulm to kulmhutte?

lastly, which one would you advice – take the cable car from rigi kaltbad to weggis or walk from rigi kaltbad – felsentor – weggis?

i apologise for the many questions, there are a few things I’m unsure about. Hope to hear from you soon! 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2015 at 9:05:32 #842518

[quote]jessicasam said:

<“”Thank you both very much for your advice! I have decided to go to Mt Rigi. Here’s my tentative itinerary:

from Lucerne, take a boat to Vitznau and then the cog railway to Rigi Kulm. From there, walk the following route:

Rigi kulm – kulmhutte – upper schwandihutte – des alpes – rigi klosterli – heiri hutte – first – rigi kaltbad”>>

<<“also, how will we navigate ourselves on our walk? Will there be signs, for example, to point us the way to go from rigi kulm to kulmhutte?”>>

I don’t know those huts, without getting out my detailed maps, but I do know Rigi Klösterli. It is at a bit under one mile high, if you think in miles, or 1453 M.u.M (German ) if you think in meters above sea level and is 500 meters below Rigi Kulm and 250 meters below First.

Unless you both are very fit, used to walking at altitudes above 1 mile high, and have no problems with steep descents and ascents, you will have a physically difficult and challenging walk. Since I do not know all of the huts that you mention, I cannot promise signs everywhere, but an examination of a 1:50,000 Wanderkarte (Hiking map with the Wanderwege indicated) will shown the signed trails in red. Those maps are often posted in the train stations, on the wall, far all to see and memorize. 😉

Even without a map, you are likely to be able to find your way. With a 1:25000 map, you will see every little trail, house, hut and everything else. That is the surest way to keep track of where you are and where you want to be.

Such maps are usually available at the base stations of the Rigi Bahn and The Weggis-Kaltbad Luftseilbahn.

Or, in Luzern, the Orell- Füssli book store less than 100 meters from the main station carries them. Ask at the Tourist Info by track #1 in the Luzern Main Station. They can tell you where to get maps.

For an online look, take a look at the altitude changes and the slopes at –

swisstopo.admin.ch/ internet/swisstopo/ en/home.html

Zoom in on the map at the right side of the home page.

<<“from there, take a cable car to Weggis and the boat back to Lucerne. “>>

The walk from the Talstation at Weggis ( valley station, named in timetables as Weggis LSB or Weggis Luftseilbahn) of the Luftseilbahn is substantially down hill to the boat landing. You descend about 60 or 70 meters in less than 1 km, on roads or good paths. That could cause some noticeable knee tiredness unless you are fit and used to down hill hikes.

Once you are at Rigi Kulm, you can see most or all of the route for your proposed hike…at least toward Klösterli. Take a good look.

<“We will be travelling on 2nd July.”>>

Should have trails free of snow. I hope you have clear weather.

<“”I would appreciate any advice on the route I have planned. I’m traveling with my mother, who is reasonably fit but she has joint problems and would not do well with steep inclines/declines.”>>

Your route is a problem for her.

<<“additionally, do we need to book tickets in advance for the cable car/boat trip/cog railway?”>>

No. You you can buy them at the ticket window for the cog rail. If you are getting on and off at the upper stations you can buy them on the train at, for example, Rigi Staffel…or you could a couple of years ago and there is no reason that they would have changed that necessary capability. There is a new station at Rigi Kaltbad. The old one had a ticket window; I’m sure that the new one does. For the Luftseilbahn Weggis-Kaltabd, there is a ticket window in the station at each end. Pretty sure that you can still buy boat tickets on the boat, but those can also be bought in Luzern at the main station. There is often a line at the base stations of the Rigi Bahn ( Vitznau and Arth-Goldau. Not much of a problem, not all that long. But, since you have to buy your train tickets before you board any regular train, and if you come to Arth -Goldau (see below) you can get a combined ticket when you buy your train ticket. Or, you can buy it from a ticket machine or ticket window at Luzern.

If you get a Swiss Rail Pass, all of those might be covered for no charge. Since the cable cars and cograils are excursion trains, some may only offer a discount when you have the Rail Pass . Arno or Annika surely can point you to that information.

<<“How do we find the schedules for them?”>>

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Other options:

Here are two walks which are much easier.

1.-Look a t the map noted above. You will see that there is an modestly downhill quite good path (and well signed) path from Rigi Scheidegg to Rigistaffel and Rigi Staffelhöhe via First , with a branch at First to Rigi Kaltbad. One short steep downhill at the Rigi Kaltbad end on paved road. This is an old railroad roadbed. Very smooth. You can walk various portions of that route with little knee strain. You can also come to the Rigi via Arth Goldau, and catch the cable car at Kräbel- one stop up the cog-rail Rigi Bahn above A-G, and ride it up to Rigi-Scheidegg.

2.- The other is to ride ( or walk steeply) down from Rigi Kulm to Rigi Staffel, then take the trail which starts out following the train toward Kaltbad. Aftere a while it swings out to the right to nice overlooks of the lake and Luzern itself. The trail may have a fancy name like the “XXXX Höhenweg…” (XXXX high route…forgot what the name is , that is why I used XXXX’s.), As it swings back in toward Rigi Kaltbad, on the left is a nice small chapel tucked into a nook in the rocks.

This trail is is definitely down hill, and can be noticed in the knees if they are not in good shape. It descends roughly 130 meters over a kilometer or two. It is mostly smooth and easy walking.

Once you are back at Kaltbad, you can catch the cograil down to Vitznau for the boat back to Luzern. The cable car (Luftseilbahn) is there, too, but the walk at the bottom of the LSB is distinctly downhill as noted above.

If you are going to go down the Vitznau side, you shoud consider coming up from Arth Goldau, accessible easily by train from Luzern. Then, go down the Vitznau side.

<<” lastly, which one would you advice – take the cable car from rigi kaltbad to weggis or walk from rigi kaltbad – felsentor – weggis?”>>

That is quite a descent. Approximately 1000 meters. Healthy knees of a hiker in good shape would notice it. See attached. The mark at the top (for the Hotel Bergsonne) is at Rigi Kaltbad.

<<“i apologise for the many questions, there are a few things I’m unsure about. Hope to hear from you soon! 🙂 “>>

Better to ask now than be surprised.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2015 at 15:59:53 #842519

Dear slowpoke,

Thank you so much for your detailed and informative reply. Here is my revised itinerary, per your advice:

from Lucerne, take the boat to Vitznau and then the cog railway to Rigi Kulm. From there, walk the following route: Rigi Kulm – Staffel – Staffelhöhe – Känzeli – Rigi Kaltbad. At Rigi Kaltbad, take the cable car to Weggis, walk downhill to the dock and take the boat back to Lucerne.

I understand that there will be two rather steep downhill sections – rigi Kulm – Staffel and the walk at Weggis from the cable car station to the dock, although I think this will be rather manageable. I do hope I will be able to enjoy nice views during my walk/hike and avoid the crowd at the same time?

I would like your advice on whether it makes sense to take two boats from Lucerne-Vitznau and Weggis-Lucerne? Will they be covering largely the same views or would it be better to take the train back to Lucerne? We are not in a rush for time and would like to see the best views possible.

Additionally, are there any restaurants/ bars you can recommend us along our route to eat at? Or will we have to bring our own food?

Lastly, if we walk at a leisurely pace, how long do you estimate the whole journey to be?

Again, thank you for bearing with my questions and I hope to hear from you soon. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 April 2015 at 16:33:23 #842520

Looks good.

More later.

Plenty of food.

Walk is about 1 hour – at most two hours. You may pause a lot.

You can see it on the Swisstopo map if you zoom in using aerial view (upper right corner)

You can also see places to eat.

LSB at Kaltbad leaves every 30 minutes. Great views.

Boat schedule is less frequent.

How long will it take?

Start to put together a schedule from the SBB web site. Look at going through Arth -Goldau or through Vitznau on the way in.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

I’ll comment on routes later.

• The thread ‘Which mountain to visit from Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.