Monte Brè is one of the easy to reach panoramic viewing points in Lugano, similar to Monte San Salvatore. It offers views of most of the city and the lake, almost as far as Porto Ceresio in Italy, at the south-most tip of the lake.
How to get there and how to find your way.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
Attraction type: Natural site, Mountain top, By funicular
Escort: independent (no guide)
Region: Lugano (Ticino)
Duration: 1 day or less
What is Monte Brè?
Monte (Mount) Brè is a mountain just outside the city of Lugano in the Swiss canton of Ticino. Its altitude is a bit more than 900 m. That's quite low in Switzerland, but enough for a wonderful panorama across this lake region with mid-sized mountains.
A historic funicular will take you up there. The route was completed in 1908. It passes a residential area and a forest.
Activities and things to see at Monte Brè
- There's a panoramic 180° view of Lake Lugano almost as far as Porto Ceresio in Italy, mountains and most of the city of Lugano.
- You can have coffee or lunch at restaurant Vetta, at less than 5 minutes on foot from the funicular station. We recommend to go to their terrace for the best view.
- The view from the Maria Assunta church at 2 minutes from the funicular station is not great in our opinion, even though this is the actual top of the mountain.
- You can make various walks and longer hikes. A popular walk is the one to the old village of Brè, which takes less than 15 minutes. There's also an easy roundabout trail via the outskirts of the village Aldessago. This takes about 1h05. You'll find lots of artistic decorations along the route.
- There are mountain bike trails down the mountain.
Check the weather forecast before you leave. The mountain is not extremely high, so it will not be covered in clouds that often. If it is, you will not be able to see the views. You'd better not go up if it rains either.
Dress in multiple thinner layers so that you can adapt to the different temperatures in the valley and up the mountain. It can be windy at the top. Take along sun glasses. Hiking shoes are recommended if you plan to do longer walks, like hiking down to the valley.
Allow at least an hour at the top. This does not include the time to get there.