Advice on which Rail card for our trips.

• sally2311
    Participant
    5 posts
    1 August 2012 at 1:10:53 #805490

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Switzerland for 2 weeks in September. My mother is from Switzerland so we have been saving hard to visit all of the places I remember from being a child. We are staying in the Thun region (where my family are) for 10 days and then moving on to Graubunden (Davos) for 4 days as I have never been to that region before.

We are planning the following trips and I wondered if someone could advise the most cost effective pass?

Interlaken to Jungfraujoch return.
    The boats on Thunersee.
    Niesen Bahn.
    Shilthorn.
    Stockhorn.
    Part of the glacier express, probably Davos – Brig.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are driving over there so will have use of a car so place to place travel not essential but would be a bonus.

Thank you.

Sally.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    1 August 2012 at 9:25:35 #836787

Hi Sally,

The 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would be an option, especially since you only pay for one person for a two-person pass as there is a 2-for-1 promo. The pass includes 4 days of free traveling and (mostly 50%) discounts on all trips on non-free travel days between the first and last free travel day. You can use one of the free days for the Glacier Express. Another one could be used to go to the Jungfraujoch (free until Wengen, 25% discount on the remaining leg) and do free boat trips on the way back to Thun. The pass also allows you to do some free train trips instead of traveling by car. There are some beautiful routes near Thun so I can certainly recommend doing so. One example is the Lötschberger train from Thun via Spiez, Kandersteg and Goppenstein to Brig. Further details on the pass can be found here.

An alternative is the Swiss Half Fare Card: 50% discounts on nearly everything for a month. Also, there is a 2-for-1 promotion on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. It does not include the Glacier Express and it’s only for 7 days though.

One more tip: be sure to travel from Davos via Filisur to Brig, rather than via Landquart. The scenery is more attractive. The route via Landquart is quicker but not part of the Glacier Express.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Advice on which Rail card for our trips.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.