Rail pass for Basel to Jungfrau region 6 day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2016 at 22:15:34 #809093

Hi,

My 7 yr old son and I are travelling from Basel (airport) to Wengen for a walking holiday at the end of May. We’ll be leaving from Meiringen back to Basel airport and I imagine we’re going to be hopping on and off trains and cable cars in between so some kind of pass would be great. If we get a free boat trip all the better..

I’m having trouble working out the best combination of tickets to include the travel from Basel. It looks like most journeys to Interlaken Ost will go through Bern so is it better to get a return to Bern and the Berner Oberland Regional-Pass and/or half-fare transfer combi pass and the Jungfrau pass or some other combination entirely. Does the transfer pass allow us to travel back from Meiringen if we’re starting at Wengen? Do we have to specify the destination?

Any advise very much appreciated as I’m going round in circles!

thanks

Sue

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 May 2016 at 6:42:35 #851555

Hi Sue, thanks for joining us! Great that you get to visit Switzerland with your son.

There are several pass options indeed. The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi you mentioned could be used for Basel-Wengen and Meiringen-Basel, but it isn’t quite worth its money in your case. Also, you’ll have to buy discounted tickets for each trip made from Wengen. Passes that offer free traveling are generally more convenient. So depending on the area you’d like to cover, I’d recommend either:

• the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, with additional tickets Basel-Bern and Bern-Basel. This is suitable if you wish to cover larger area;
    • the Jungfrau Travel Pass, with additional tickets Basel-Interlaken and Interlaken-Basel. This would work if you just want to focus on the Jungfrau region. It has some limitations though. The Schilthorn, for example, isn’t included.

The pages I linked to provide all details. They include validity overviews and purchase options. If you want to make sure which pass is most economical, there’s no other way than making a detailed list of plans and make calculations as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2016 at 18:42:04 #851556

Thanks Annika, that makes it much clearer. If I get the Basel-Bern tickets, is it best to get a Junior travelcard for my son? Doesn’t look like he travels for free.

Annika
    7124 posts
    5 May 2016 at 14:29:40 #851557

Hi Weesue,

Yes, the Junior Travelcard would be the best solution for your son. For only CHF 30,00 he’ll travel along for free with you on all routes (not just Basel-Bern and Meiringen-Basel, but also the trips you plan to make from Wengen).

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Basel to Jungfrau region 6 day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.