Best route Paris – Interlaken & rail pass to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 20:14:45 #811197

Hello,

Thank you for all the great advice and information on this website. It’s awesome.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get some advice for our travel and itinerary for our trip Sept 8th-11th, 2017.

We will be arriving from Paris via train into Swizertland. We are staying in Interlaken. We would like to take a scenic train in. What train would you recommend for coming into Interlaken. We will have a Paris pass and also a Swiss travel pass.

Sept 8- arrive Interlaken

Sept 9- Jungrfau

Sept 10- Luzern – Mt Titlis

Sept 11- Interlaken to Milan

We are not sure how to utilize our Swiss travel pass for our travel to Milan. Are there trains that will accept the Swiss travel pass up until Italy?

We thank you so much for all your advice in advance.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 9:15:44 #860548

Hi GraceC and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m not sure of any particularly scenic route from Paris to Interlaken. Going out of your way you could travel To Montreux via Geneva and take the Golden Pass train from Montreux to Interlaken – makes for a long day though.

All trains in Switzerland will accept the Swiss Travel Pass within Switzerland. You will just need to buy a ticket for the Swiss border town to Milan (almost always Domodossola). You can buy this ticket online here and not worry about getting off the train at all (just show it to anyone asking to see it after Domodossola). Likewise for Paris to the Swiss border (usually Basel or Geneva): myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 16:44:07 #860549

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for all your help & advice. It definitely will help.

Just one more question, would you be able to advise me on the best route or train to take (not sure if there is only one way) to Jungfrau from Interlaken please. Would I also have to reserve and purchase a ticket to Jungfrau inadvance?

Thank you so much again for all your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 17:10:06 #860550

Hi GraceC,

From Interlaken you would take a train via Lauterbrunnen. You can check train schedules for your dates and time of travel here.

Reservations are not needed and for convenience you can buy tickets online here for Jungfraujoch. Are you traveling on a Swiss rail pass of some sort?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 18:16:32 #860551

Hi Lucas,

Thx for such a quick reply.Yes we will have a Swiss travel pass. I was thinking purchasing a Swiss travel pass would be worth it. Would it be worth while if we are there for 3 days? Do you think our itinerary is too busy for the 3 days we are there?

Thank you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 6:36:13 #860552

Oh yes of course you have the STP – my bad 🙂

No, your itinerary does not look to busy – I think the Swiss Travel Pass will be worth it for you as well (use it for local transit as well!).

If you buy it online, you can have it emailed to you and printed at home – quite convenient as you are then covered for your trips within Switzerland!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 11:40:35 #860553

Hi Lucas,

Oh that’s perfect! Thank you again for all your advice and the great information on this website.

Have a wonderful day.

• The thread ‘Best route Paris – Interlaken & rail pass to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.