Companion ticket, Pilatus, Family Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2017 at 13:00:52 #811780

Hi,

Had some queries related to train travel and other public transport.

1. How does the companion ticket work? We are 9 people including 6 half fare card holders and 3 children covered in the Family Card travelling from Italy to Switzerland on May 21. I see this companion ticket offer is valid till the very same day. We have to book a ticket from Domodossola to Interlaken and I was wondering if I can opt for this and whether it has any impact on usage of Family Card. Suppose I opt for three of these companion tickets instead of 6 separate individual tickets, would I be still able to use Family Card for the children? Is there a further half fare card reduction on the companion ticket?

2. Two days later I plan to visit Pilatus during the afternoon while travelling from Lucerne. I believe the Zone 10 Lucerne ticket is also valid till Kriens. Since it would be a half day journey is it advisable to take the Golden/Silver round trip or just stick to bus to Kriens and then cable cars?

3. The one-day pass in Lucerne and Zurich, do they also offer free rides for accompanying children with the Family Card? What about the boats, cogwheel and cable cars? Is the Family Card valid in all these other modes of transport too?

• Annika
    7126 posts
    11 May 2017 at 16:45:28 #863166

Hi viveksinhas,

1. You can only buy the companion ticket with a Swiss Half Fare Card PLUS a 1-day travelpass. It’s explained in this topic too. So you would need a 1-day travelpass plus a companion ticket for each day you plan to use this. It requires really long and expensive day trips to make this worth your money. For most trips, just the discounts offered by the Swiss Half Fare Cards will be probably be cheaper.

2. It’s certainly advisable to use both the cable car between Kriens and Pilatus and the cogwheel train between Alpnachstad and Pilatus. So yes, a Silver or Golden round trip is worth it in terms of scenery and experience.

3. The Swiss Family Card is only valid along with an STS rail pass such as the Swiss Half Fare Card. So you can’t use it along with other passes such as day passes for Lucerne or Zurich. Yes, the Swiss Family Card does allow free traveling for children on boats and mountain transportation. But again, only along with your valid Swiss Half Fare Cards. Please check validity here.

• The thread ‘Companion ticket, Pilatus, Family Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11100 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.