Eurail Global Passes in Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2016 at 1:50:53 #808447

Hallo!

My husband and I will be staying in Grindelwald from June 1-June 6. We are also visiting Germany & Austria before visiting Grindelwald. We bought the Eurail Global Pass because we liked the flexible the pass would allow, but now, after doing some research, I’m not sure that we should use the Eurail Global Pass. I think most of our more “unplanned” train travel will be done while we’re staying in Grindelwald and, from what I can tell, we will only get a 25% discount on most of the trains and cable cars around the area. We plan on traveling to the nearby cities, such as Lauterbrunnen, Muerren, and Zermatt for day trips while staying in Grindelwald. Should we reconsider using the Global Pass and maybe use one of the Swiss Travel Passes?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    19 February 2016 at 8:20:21 #848567

Welcome to MySwissAlps, rkwelsh15!

You’re right, the Eurail Global Pass isn’t the best choice for traveling in the Grindelwald region. Depending on your exact travel plans, you may look into:

• the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, that offers great coverage in this area. It provides free traveling on many trains, buses and boats and even includes a considerable amount of cable cars and mountain trains. It won’t cover your entire trip to Zermatt, but it does offer free traveling as far as Brig, so you’d only need additional tickets for the leg Brig-Zermatt;
    • the Swiss Half Fare Card, that gets you a 50% discount on all trips in Switzerland.

Here‘s how to find out which pass suits your plans best. Does that help you out?

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Passes in Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.