Jungfrau region – which town is best as a base?

• Marethavdh01
    Participant
    6 posts
    20 December 2022 at 4:41:06 #828769

Good morning

We are in Switzerland only for 4 days (September 2023) and have decided to only do the Jungfrau region. We will be landing in Zurich and then we will travel by train.

I first thought that Interlaken will be a good base, but we actually want to experience the small town, not a big city.

My questions:

1. Which town is best to use as a base? Gindelwald, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen

2. How easy is it to reach them by train from Zurich?

3. Do we buy the half fare Swiss pass and then the Top of Europe pass or other way round?

Kind regards

Maretha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    20 December 2022 at 13:58:45 #949029

Hi Maretha,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

September is a great time to explore the Jungfrau region. If you’re interested in a small setting with magnificent views, I recommend Wengen as a base. You can find hotel options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/wengen/hotels

Wengen is a car-free village but is served with a regular train service from Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken. You can find travel information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/wengen/travel. You can check train schedules online here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

With the Swiss Half Fare Card, you can purchase the Top of Europe Pass at a reduced price. You can purchase either one first, just make sure on the day you travel you have both passes to show during ticket inspection.

Regards,

Anna

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    20 December 2022 at 19:50:32 #949030

I visited the Jungfrau region in September with 4 days as well and stayed in Wengen. It was great! We traveled from Zurich and it was really easy.

I liked Wengen instead of Lauterbrunnen as you are above everything instead of down in the valley. Gindelwald would be my next choice but it is not quite as scenic and there is more hustle and bustle as it is a bigger town.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    20 December 2022 at 20:43:03 #949031

Hi Marethavdh01.

Ah, what a problem to have. Where to stay in the Jungfrau area.

If you ask 3 different people you’ll get three different answers. For myself, I prefer Grindelwald as I believe it has the best views with the panorama of the Wetterhorn, Mettenberg, and Eiger laid out in front of you and there are possibly a greater number of things to do and see such as the walk to Bachalpsee and the Gletscherschucht (glacier gorge). My completely subjective opinion is that Grindelwald is more fun, especially for kids with things like the First Flyer, Trotti Bikes and the gravity Go Carts below First if you want some thrills. The downside is it is also a lot busier, with lots of cars and tourists during the day, but on the upside, it also has more shops and restaurants than other places.

Lauterbrunnen has famous waterfalls, but being at the bottom of a valley, it doesn’t have the same views as the other towns and it can feel a bit claustrophobic at times. It is a unique place and well worth a visit, but I wouldn’t use it as a base.

Wengen is the most picturesque of the 3 towns. It can only be reached by train or cable car and is almost completely car-free with only the occasional municipal or farmer’s vehicle to watch out for. It also has a fantastic view of both the Lauterbrunnen valley and the Jungfrau and is the quietest of the three towns, especially at the end of the day after the day trippers have left. Being more or less in the middle of the region it’s within striking distance of all the major attractions in the area such as the Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch and First.

The train from Zurich is straight forward and takes about 2 and a half hours. Depending on which route the train takes there can be several stops, but the most direct route goes straight to Interlaken Ost where you change for the train to Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen. Something to be aware of, the train leaving Interlaken Ost stops at Zweilütschinen and splits in 2, one half goes to Grindelwald and the other goes to Lauterbrunnen, so it’s important to find the correct carriage for your destination before you leave Interlaken Ost. If you do find yourself in the wrong carriage you can switch at Zweilütschinen.

I hope this helps,

Have fun!

Alan

Marethavdh01
    Participant
    6 posts
    21 December 2022 at 3:59:08 #949032

Thank you for your information – I think we will stay inWengen.

The train travel still stresses me out a bit as we are planning to go from Wengen to Milan, but I am sure we will find the correct trains and information ☺

Marethavdh01
    Participant
    6 posts
    21 December 2022 at 3:59:52 #949033

Thank you Anna

I will look towards Wengen then as a base ☺

Marethavdh01
    Participant
    6 posts
    21 December 2022 at 4:01:42 #949034

Thank you. Could you please share your itinerary with me if possible? We don’t want to do too much as we would just experience the culture and the people, but of course we will do Jungfrau Joch.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    21 December 2022 at 5:05:51 #949035

Excellent choice! You’ll have a fantastic time.

Cheers

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2022 at 6:52:32 #949036

Hi Marethavdh01,

this page might help you with the train trip to Italy: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

At http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities you can find activity tips in the Jungfrau region.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region – which town is best as a base?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.