Travel tips FROM LONDON TO ZERMATT

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2014 at 15:26:37 #806713

Hi,

I plan to travel to Zermatt from 21 Dec (check in) – 26 Dec (check out) 2014.

Would I take a flight from London to Geneva and then take a train to Zermatt, if so, what train and what pass should I buy? Is there a web link where I need to book my train tickets to Zermatt? How many hours will it take?

Or would I book from London to Zurich?

Please advise me the cheapest way possible from London to Zermatt as I have no idea what is where .etc.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 November 2014 at 16:29:11 #841298

Hi jung1991,

Here’s a bit more information about both options:

1. All the way by train: this takes 10 to 11 hours. Normally you would book a ticket to either Basel, Geneva or Lausanne, and buy a Swiss Card or Swiss Transfer Ticket for the Swiss leg of the trip. See here for the London to Switzerland tickets. How to get cheap tickets is explained here (it’s for Paris to Switzerland but applies to trips from London as well).
    2. By plane to Geneva or Zurich, then train to Zermatt. I would estimate this takes about 9 hours including check in, transport to the airport, etc. Again you would use a Swiss Card or Swiss Transfer Ticket to travel to Zermatt. See here for tickets, airports, etc.

Train and plane ticket prices vary a lot by travel date and time, and booking date. The above should help you make a choice and find fares. If you have not booked your hotel yet I would recommend to do so quickly as it is the most popular week of the year. For hotel suggestions, please look here.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Travel tips FROM LONDON TO ZERMATT’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.