Visit in August to Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 5:36:48 #804200

We are staying in Switzerland for two weeks in August .. And for one week in Wengen. Any advice on what would be the best ticket to buy ? We are driving out from the U.K but wish to use therail network for most of our travel. We understand that we cannottake a car to Wengen and need to get the train in .. Is that line included on a swiss card ? Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 March 2011 at 8:59:50 #832485

Hello Jamesw,

Where will you spend the other week? If it’s in the same region, a Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is worth your consideration. Other passes, which cover the whole of Switzerland, are:

– the Swiss Half Fare Card, if you primary travel short distances;
    – the Swiss Flexi Pass, if you want to do some long trips as well.

Each of those pages links to a map which shows where it’s valid. Lauterbrunnen – Wengen is included: either discounted or for free.

The Swiss Card is not suitable. It includes the in- and outbound trip which you will do by car (apart from the last 2 miles).

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 9:26:56 #832486

Thanks for the reply. Starting our trip for two days in Geneva .. Then a week in Wengen .. Undecided about last few days and i’m open to suggestions !

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    31 March 2011 at 17:53:59 #832487

What do you like to do?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2011 at 20:40:53 #832488

We have a 15 year old daughter .. So a bit of adventure activity, walking, boat rides and general sightseeing. It’s our first visit to Switzerland so also looking through the other threads as well .. A good forum !

Annika
    7125 posts
    8 April 2011 at 11:46:53 #832489

Hi Jamesw! The Wengen area offers lots of activities, very attractive to children as well. If your daughter is really adventurous, she may want to give paragliding a try. Boat rides over lake Thun and lake Brienz can be recommended too, just as the cable cars and mountain trains around Wengen. Our examples of a roundabout journey in the Bernese Oberland may give you an impression of the mountain transportation options. Please take a look at the day trips list and hiking tips as well. I’m not sure if you are good hikers and if your daughter is trained. If so, you will love the beautiful hike First-Schynige Platte (or the other way around). Be sure to prepare well though and to be equipped with proper hiking gear. If you have little or no hiking experience, it’s wiser to start off with shorter and easier trips.

As for the last few days of your stay: it’s quite hard to decide where to spend them, as there are so many options. If you like Wengen and its surroundings (and you probably will), it’s no problem to stay there the rest during the last days too; you won’t get bored quickly. Do you want to return via Geneva (or the south-western part of the country) as well? If so, I would recommend to spend a couple of days in either the Simmen valley (Zweisimmen/Gstaad) or Zermatt/Saas-Fee. Both regions can be visited on your way back to Geneva, although getting to Zermatt or Saas-Fee would require you to make a detour. If it doesn’t matter where you end your stay, you could also consider lake Lucerne.

I hope this is of any help, since I’m not able to decide for you and there are so many regions worth visiting :-). You can best take a look at the regions I mentioned (just follow the links) and find out what appeals to you most.

Best regards,

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    8 April 2011 at 19:54:42 #832490

There is way more in Wengen area to keep you and your 15 year old happily occupied for weeks, let alone a single week. I’d stay put. Lots of adventure stuff to do, such as zip lines, toboggan runs, trotti bikes, and as Annika noted paragliding. Hey, if you are really crazy you can have a helicopter drop you off atop the Eiger and face jump it.

I’ve compiled a 30+ page list of recommendations, things to do, etc in the area based on 15 visits (okay, it doesn’t include the face jumping and paragliding, but easy enough to google that). Happy to send it to you. If you’re interested, send me a PM with your email address and I’ll send it to you.

• The thread ‘Visit in August to Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.