Faulensee-Spiez: the facts
- Hiking time: 1h40
- Difficulty: easy
- Elevation: 557 – 672 m
- Distance: 7.7 km
- Terrain: vineyards, small villages and forests along a lake
- Region: Lake Thun (Bernese Oberland)
About the trail
The varying surroundings of Spiez allow you to walk along the lake, through a pleasant little harbor, along vineyards and through the forest.
This route is suitable for any kind of weather. The coolness of the water and the Mediterranean atmosphere in the marina welcome you on warm and sunny days. The route offers several shortcuts to terminate your hike in advance when the weather conditions are not that great.
Directions and map
How to travel to Faulensee and from Spiez
Hiking route details
- Follow the Kirschgartenstrasse from the former railway station of Faulensee. At the end, turn right into the Interlakenstrasse and start following the signs “Strandweg”. You will have a beautiful view of the eastern part of Lake Thun.
- As you continue to follow the Strandweg, you will pass along a small fish farm, where information boards show why it is necessary to artificially breed fish, and how it is done.
- You will pass the swimming pool at the end of the Strandweg, where you need to turn right towards the marina.
- Turn right again so that you have several sidewalk restaurants on your left and the quay on your right.
- Walk straight on until you reach the boat dock of the boats to Interlaken and Thun. Then walk back and go into the slightly ascending Seestrasse.
- Turn right into the Schlossstrasse and left into the Rebbergweg.
- Take the path to the right into the forest when you have reached the top of the Spiezberg. You will reach a viewing point a bit later, where you can see the western part of the Thunersee.
- Keep following the forest trail straight on. As you leave the forest you need to turn right into the Weidliweg, then left into the Thunstrasse.
- Keep following the Thunstrasse (don’t cross the railroad) until you can turn to the right into the Bahnhofstrasse that leads to the railway station.