Lake Lugano boat trips
Enjoy southern Switzerland from the water. A boat trip is a relaxed way to see the green mountains and picturesque villages in the Lake Lugano region.
The forum allows you to post your questions and discuss your plans.
Attraction type: Natural site, Lake;
Scenic trip, By boat
Escort: independent (no guide)
Region: Lake Lugano (Ticino)
Duration: 1 day or less
Lake Lugano cruises
The beautiful blue lake surrounded by green mountains offers very attractive scenic boat trips. The remarkably shaped lake offers different views around every corner. About 2/3 is Swiss territory, the rest is Italian. An international boat trip is one of many options.
Lugano is the biggest city in the Lake Lugano (Lago di Lugano) area, and an obvious starting point for boat trips. But one can board boats in most towns along the lake. Check the timetable, as boat schedules on some routes are limited.
The boats offer 2nd and 1st class sections. You can buy snacks and drinks on board, and there's often a restaurant to have lunch.
Routes and activities
A Lake Lugano boat trip can be combined with various other activities. Here are a few examples:
- Get from Lugano to Melide by boat, then walk for 5 minutes to visit Swissminiatur, and travel back by train.
- Take a boat to Paradiso for a visit to Monte San Salvatore.
- Travel by boat from Lugano to Capolago to take the cogwheel train to Monte Generoso.
- Walk to Gandria and take a boat back from there.
- Make a boat trip from Lugano to Porlezza, to see the lake area that is fully located in Italy (other areas are only partly in Italy, as the border is in the middle of the lake there).
- Board a boat from Lugano to the pretty village of Morcote and get back by bus.
- The longest non-circular boat ride (about 1h30) is from Lugano via Porto Ceresio in Italy to Ponte Tresa. A train will take you back to Lugano in 30 minutes. You can walk from the boat dock to the train station in 4 minutes.
Although sunny clear weather is great for a boat trip, it's still worth it if it's cloudy or drizzling. Take sun glasses and an extra layer of clothing as it can be windy on the lake. Check the timetable in advance to see what trip suits you best and how to combine it with another attraction.