2 weeks across Switzerland by train in Sept-part 8

• Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    6 January 2024 at 6:17:37 #1047322

Hello Forum folks,

Here is part 8 of my trip report. For those of you have veen following along, thank you. Sorry for the delay as I have had some family issues, and the holidays and all have delayed things. Thank you again for following along, and Happy New Year to all.

>>>>Day 12

After breakfast at Barabas and my big bag already resting in Zurich, I boarded a train to Zurich main station, where I found a locker to put my ‘big’ backpack and took off to Schaffhausen with my ‘everywhere’ (small) backpack in search of the falls.

The weather was overcast all the way, and a bit of light drizzle falling. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a bit of a bad trip. I didn’t realize I took the wrong train to see the falls, other than to pass by with just a glimpse of them on the way to the Schaffhausen station. I wanted to backtrack two stops on the correct line, but I was on the wrong platform, and as such, I was on a direct train back to Zurich. My mistake there.

So upon my arrival back in Zurich, I retrieved my ‘big’ backpack from the locker and found my way to retrieve my ‘big bag’, which was upstairs and around the corner from the SBB Office on the main level, and outside. Upon picking up my ‘big bag’, I was informed that it would be 5 days that I had to pick up the bag. This was pleasing to hear since it (the big bag) was there already after changing my plans to stay the extra night in Lucerne. (Apparently, the SBB office will hold bags for up to 5 days for those who want to send them ahead as I did. At least in Zurich. I’m not about other stations, and I’m not sure if that was just at the Zurich station. So it’s best to ask (as mentioned earlier) when the station’s opening/closing hours are when forwarding luggage to another station, as well as how long they will be stored for.)

So after retrieving both bags from the train station (large backpack and big bag), I took them to my hotel, (ibis Styles Zurich City Center) to check-in. A bit uphill and across from the station, it was there that I spent the last night to rest my head before leaving the country the next morning. Upon checking in, I had asked the receptionist if she knew of any karaoke places in the proximity of the hotel. She was kind enough to write down three places, and I thanked her and made my way to my room.

I pulled out my little backpack (everywhere bag’) from the big backpack and embarked on my journey down to the lake for a ‘short’ boat ride on Lake Zurich. Down the street, about a hundred meters or so was a stop for a tram. I jumped on the number 11 line, and, once passing the main train station, it basically made a left turn and traveled right smack dab in the center of the Bahnhofstrasse all the way down towards the lake and the ferry. (The stop to get off at is the Burkiplatz. Then walk towards the water and boats, slightly towards the right.)

The Bahnhofstrasse looks like a shoppers delight. Seemingly, anything one wants is along the way and can be found there. Wow! Be it food, high-end shopping, or anything in between, it can be found somewhere along there. Once at the Burkiplatz stop, I disembarked and made my toward the boat, and seeing what I thought was a ticket counter of sorts was just a food stand. So I made my way around it and found the end of the line to the boat. This was very crowded, and after settling in a seat on the main deck, I ordered some fries and a beer. (The day was still just as overcast as it had been all day.)

While on the boat ride, I was looking through, and familiarizing myself with the three places where I could find a karaoke, and how close to the hotel they were. Since it was overcast, I wasn’t wholly interested in the scenery as much as a peaceful cruise on the lake. As such, I found where the karaoke bars were located and made my decision on which one to go to.

So after the 90-minute lake cruise, I walked along the river back towards the train station (on the same side of the river as the station), taking some random photos and eventually crossing to the other side, slowly making my back towards my hotel and looking for the pub that I spent some time in 5 years ago, only to find out that it closed down about a month prior. After buying some souvenirs and sweatshirts, I made my way back to the hotel to drop off the everywhere bag that now was pretty heavy with what I bought. I spent some time in my room in no particular rush doing some sorting and packing, getting ready for an easy morning departure since karaoke didn’t start til 2200.

So about 2100, I walked down to the tram and hopped on the 14 line in search of karaoke. Right at the stop (Silpost/HB) on Kasernenstrasse, about a block or two south of the main station along the (western part) river was/is a burger place called Burgermeister Kasserne. I had a cheeseburger before continuing along Militarstrasse to seek out my karaoke destination, which was 6 or 8 blocks down at a place called Ka3an (basically, KAZAN), which was just a bar on one end and a big screen on the other with some seats around the perimeter with high-back cocktail tables, and some lounge couches under the big screen. No food. Just a place built seemingly just for the occasion of an every-night karaoke spot. It opened around 2130, karaoke started around 2230, and by midnight, it was wall to wall people. Mostly, very young folks and a few of us old timers sprinkled in.

So, after a few beers, 2 songs sung and the heat from all the people having gotten too hot for me, I departed. It was fun mingling with some more local folks, and I’m glad I found two different karaoke places on my trip. Then I meandered my back along the train station and called it a night since any places along the way were already closed. Had I turned right instead of left leaving Ka3an, I probably could have found more places open as I was only about 2 blocks from what I understand is the busy nightlife area/strip referred to as the Langstrasse District. So since I had to be up early to catch a train to the airport, I decided to turn left and call it a day, a night, and a trip. That is how I ended another very full, fun-packed journey to Switzerland.

Up early the next morning for my departure, and as breakfast was not included in the hotel, I caught a bite at the airport, pretty much finishing off most of my Swiss Francs, and away we went back home. Below, please find some tips from my trip. Thanks again for following along. I hope everyone has a great trip to this beautiful country. Enjoy.

Regards,

Danielsan

>>>Tip: In Zurich, the main train station stops just before one river (the Limmat) but crosses one just prior to that (the Sihl). The Sihl forks just below (south of station) and therefore creates an island upon which the station sits. The aforementioned Langstrasse district is west of there, just south of the station. Directly south of the station, on the actual island, is where the Bahnhofstrasse starts and ends at the lake where the boats rides are. At the outside of the station (to the east), there are two overpasses over the Limmat River. Crossing over and making a right turn, that will also take you to the lake. Make any left turn along that street to the paralleling street, and you will find nothing but shops, some hotels, some pubs, and a ton of eateries. All along the cobblestone streets. Not quite as fancy as the Bahnhofstrasse across the river, but one will not find a lack of places to stop into. Zurich is also famous for its many churches (among other things). See photos of random shots throughout the city.

>>>Tip: As far as boat rides/cruises go, there are two (possibly 3, I don’t recall) “short cruises” on Lake Zurich as well as the regular cruises. Those which are designated as “short cruises” are not qualified as having a distinction between “first” and “second” class. (I realized this as soon as I boarded and saw the hordes of people going all over the place.) So for anyone traveling with an STP, (as I did), it didn’t matter, as was explained to me by the inspector on board. For longer, or, ‘regular’ cruises not designated as “short” cruises, there is the class distinction. I don’t know if this is just on Lake Zurich, some lakes, or all of them. Best to check when boarding or buying tickets in advance.

>>>Tip: For those who want to see the Rhinefalls (from Zurich), it appears that the best destination is the Neuhasen Schloss (Lauren am Rheinfall) stop. It is on the S12 line from Zurich to Schaffhausen. The line actually begins in Brugg and goes through Zurich on the way to Schaffhausen. I didn’t do enough research on this, and I didn’t realize it as I just jumped on a train to Schaffhausen, once in Zurich.

>>> TIP: Anyone going to either Bern or Zurich, in particular (many other places as well) be very aware that the tracks you see in the middle of the streets are very active and have trams, buses, and other vehicles that you need to pay attention to. (See one of my photos in Bern.)

• The thread ‘2 weeks across Switzerland by train in Sept-part 8’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11090 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.