8 days Bernese Oberland with a 2- and 5-year old: itinerary feedback

• wetravel37
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 May 2024 at 1:17:18 #1507471

We will be visiting the Swiss alps June 19-27 with our young kids (they will turn 2 and 5 by then). This is part of a 23 day trip with other stops in Luzern, Ticino and Montreux. I’ve tried to build an itinerary with some must do activities that take a portion of the day (some might taken 4-5 hours and some more) and have optional activities depending on how the day is going, how the kids are feeling and the weather obviously. I’m looking for some feedback on the itinerary. For insance, is there activities that are not that worthy? Is there some sights that I’m missing? Is there some part of the plan I should be prioritizing? Help is greatly appreciated.

The activities per day are going to be dependent on weather obviously. It’s basically the main plan for the day with potentially other additions. For instance, sometimes a car drive is nice in the afternoon for the kids to rest/nap after a long hike. We might elect to just rest in the chalet as well

Day 1:

• Take cable car to Mannlichen.
    • Check out the viewpoint (1.7km, 100ft up and down)
    • Mannlichen playground
    • Hike down to Kleine Scheiddeg (4.7km, 1.5 hour). Eat at Grindelwaldblick?
    • Funicular back to Wengen
    • Explore Wengen

Day 2:

• Explore, walk around Lautenbrunner
    • Bike ride in the valley
    • Option:
      • Trummelbach falls (maybe adults take turns given min age is 4 and the 5 year old might be scared)

Day 3:

• Murren
    • Funicular to Allmendhubel
    • 20 mins flower trail.
    • Play at playground
    • Northface trail hike down to Murren (4 mile, 2 hour, 400ft elevation)

Day 4:

• Murren. Walk around town.
    • Walk to Gimmewald (stroller friendly)
    • Explore Gimmewald

Day 5:

• Murren. Funicular to Grutschalp
    • Hike to Murren through Wintereg (4.5km, 200m gain but can do opposite for less uphill). Stop at winteregg for playground.
    • Option:
      • Schiltorn visit

Day 6:

• Drive to interlaken
    • Steamboat Lake Brienz, back to interlaken with train
    • Explore Istelwald or Brienz (could take train back from there or continue to Brienz)
    • Harder klum
    • Options:
      • Giessbach (20-30 mins drive from Interlaken)
      • St-Beatus caves (10mins drive from Interlaken)
      • Brienzer Rothorn (preference currently to do Schnigge Platte as Rothorn need to be booked ahead and not much to do on top for young kids)

Optional activities to complement some of the days if needed:

1. Schynige platte: do the kid friendly flower trail, see the alphorn players, playground.
    2. Grindelwald first: Bort playground, probably won’t do much activities than enjoy the views and maybe part of cliff walk.
    3. Jungfrojoch: considering doing it if we have really good weather and can book the tickets there and back ahead. Would only stay 2 hours on top.
    4. Drive around lake Brienz (especially for bad weather in mountains). Could stop at Giessbach falls, Isetwald or Brienz.
    5. Drive around Lake Thun and see the castles/panorama (especially for bad weather or afternoon kid nap)
    6. St.Beatus caves: doesn’t seem like best activity for young kids
    7. Trummelback falls: might just take turns as not most kid friendly activity
  • Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 6:54:06 #1520677

Hi wetravel37,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Many thanks for sharing your Bernese Oberland travel plans.

I think you have researched well and selected some lovely choices that you should all enjoy as a family with good back up options if weather is unfavourable.  I wouldn’t say you have missed anything – there is always more or less to do when on holidays.  I’d run with what is most comfortable for you and your family on a daily basis 🙂

If you have not done so already, I’d consider a rail pass whilst traveling around the Jungfrau region.  Much easier, plus, both Mürren and Wengen are car free villages.  The children should enjoy the trains and cable cars too.  I’d look into either the Jungfrau Travel Pass or Berner Oberland Pass:

In regard to the trails, if with a stroller, an all terrain stroller would be advisable as some parts of the Mannlichen Panorama Trail to Kleine Scheidegg are a little bumpy. (https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-mannlichen-kleine-scheidegg/)

We have a handy guide for a visit to Schilthorn:

Just a note small children (and anyone) can suffer from altitude sickness.  Just something to bear in mind if you visit Schilthorn or (Jungfraujoch:  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/jungfraujoch/).  Harder Kulm is not as high so could be a better option.

If time permits, there is a easy walk from Giessbach to Iseltwald that maybe of interest.  More details here:

Or a boat trip on either Lake Thun or Lake Brienz, would be a relaxing way to enjoy the views and if the children needed to rest a little.

Have a great trip!

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Annika
    7142 posts
    9 May 2024 at 14:22:55 #1522467

Hi wetravel37,

I totally second Yolanda’s recommendation to look into regional passes for your 6-day stay in the Bernese Oberland.

Since you’ll be visiting other Swiss areas too, I’d advise first to make an overall schedule for your entire journey, and then check which pass(es) is or are best. A nation-wide pass such as the Swiss Travel Pass may work out well too. Here’s some help to find the best option for your holiday: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/compare/.

The good news is that your kids will travel for free :-): https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/discount/!

wetravel37
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 May 2024 at 5:41:07 #1522506

Thank you for the help. Yes, I was planning on getting a pass. My thought was once I finished mapping out the whole itinerary (I still have some parts to plan), I will post and ask for guidance on what to get. The whole trip is 23 nights/22 days and we’ll also stay in Montreux (4 nights), Luzern (7 nights but will take it easy to adjust to jet lag) and Lugano (4 nights).

Anna
    6465 posts
    11 May 2024 at 10:45:35 #1527014

Hi wetravel37,

Thanks for sharing your travel plans. You have certainly done your research. There is a Spring Festival starting on the 27 June in Wengen, so if you are still around then and interested in Swiss traditions and customs, you might want to include this in your itinerary.

Also, I think a trip to the St Beatus Caves would actually be a wonderful experience for the kids if they’re interested in exploring caves. They have guided tours and it’s fairly safe for small children. There is also an adventure playground on site. A trip to the Caves can easily be combined with a boat trip on Lake Thun (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/boat-lake-thun/) and a visit to Niederhorn.

Regards,

Anna

wetravel37
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 May 2024 at 16:08:46 #1528197

Is the festival the one in Mannlichen? If so it seems to say online it’s on june 23? Which would be better since we leave Wengen on 27 (although we could still technically just leave a little later in the day). Our next stop on the trip will be Montreux.

https://www.maennlichen.ch/en/summer/experiences/mountain-spring-festival.html

For the St. Beatus caves, I have read somewhere else that it’s not really recommended for younger kids because it’s dark caves and some smaller locations.

TBH it seems the kind of activities that could either blow our kids mind away or they could just not like it. Never know lol The thing that’s valuable to know for such a thing is if there’s ways to cut the visit short if needed (like a shorter route). It seems like it’s not that long of a visit.

I read similar comments about Trummelbach falls. We were debatting taking turns going with our 5 year old while one waits with the 2 year old. But it’s also not the most convenient to do the taking turns approach and boring for our 2 year old (and seems like the 5 year old could get scared)

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    12 May 2024 at 17:46:28 #1528213

Hi wetravel37,

Yes, that’s the festival, on June 23rd 🙂

I agree, the St. Beatus caves could be the best thing the children experience or it could be opposite.  Parts of the caves are dark so some children may find that scary or super exciting.  Also no strollers are allowed if you were planning to have your 2 year old in a stroller.

A little further away, near Meiringen, the Aare Gorge could be another option.  (You’ll need to enter via the west entrance if you are planning to use strollers, though there are still stairs within that you will need to navigate around) Visitors often combine a trip to the Aare Gorge with a trip to the Reichenbach Falls too.

The Staubbach Falls could be an alternative to the Trümmelbach Falls. They are just a short walk from the train station, no gondola or long hike required so you are outside to enjoy and witness the falls.  More details on this trail here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.