Amazing summer week in Grindelwald and Bern

• AlexDraney
    Participant
    5 posts
    26 July 2023 at 21:22:51 #830386

We’ve just returned to Australia after 5 weeks in Europe, with our finale in Switzerland.

it was worth it!

we’re a family of 6 from Australia. We had an 8 day travel pass, which was worth it!!

the rail system is a dream. We didn’t really use buses or trams as we walked in the cities we visited, and we could have squeezed much more value out of it than we did with museum entry etc.

we flew into Zurich and spent a night at beginning and end at the same hotel- we were able to condense our luggage and store what we didn’t need, which made the travelling a bit easier. We then headed off to Grindelwald for 3 nights. Just spectacular!

We had a clear day to go up to jungfraujoch – recommend going up as early in day as you can, and there is an early bird rate if you get the first train from Grindelwald to terminal in the morning at 7:48am. Our hotel told us about the rate- doesn’t seem to appear in anything on line- a bit of a local secret. After checking the forecast, we bought our tickets the afternoon before we planned to go up. No issues at all with it being booked out.

we’d recommend hotel Derby as well. Right at train station at Grindelwald, with really friendly and helpful staff.

We then had a couple of days in Bern- again, amazing!!

and if you need something to do on a Sunday (when almost everything is closed all over Switzerland), would recommend the high ropes at Ropetech, again, easy walk in Bern or by tram.

Thanks to MySwissAlps. I found your site so helpful to make decisions about our trip and Switzerland was a highlight!!

alex

• Yolanda
    2462 posts
    27 July 2023 at 18:15:18 #956884

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and tips on your visit to Switzerland.

Sounds as if you all had a great time.

Great too, that you found MySwissAlps site supportive of your decisions 🙂

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    28 July 2023 at 2:14:32 #956885

Sounds like you had a fabulous time in Switzerland!

I am from Canada (had an awesome trip to Australia in 2007 with my husband and two daughters; in 2014 one of our daughters spent one semester studying at Uof Sydney!) but Switzerland holds a very special place in my heart!!! I have gone to the Bernese Oberland region three times since 2019 to hike. Those majestic mountains are so breathtaking!! This forum was extremely helpful in planning those three trips.

Take care and thanks for sharing!

Monica

Skrise2002
    Participant
    14 posts
    10 August 2023 at 21:51:03 #956886

Hi Alex

We are off to Switzerland in two weeks. Thank you for sharing your story.

We are also from Australia.

Take care

Sharon

Anna
    6434 posts
    11 August 2023 at 12:01:29 #956887

Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting your trip report.

Glad you had a great time in Switzerland.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Amazing summer week in Grindelwald and Bern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11290 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.