Glacier Express from Andermatt to St Moritz – can I hop off in Chur?

• Tuckjp
    Participant
    14 posts
    6 May 2024 at 14:43:09 #1500369

We will be in Switzerland in early October 2024.  On one of our days, we will be traveling from Lucerne to Pontresina via train.  Our plan is to go from Lucerne to Andermatt and then we want to take the Glacier Express from Andermatt to St. Moritz.  We will have a STP.  I’ve been reviewing the schedule for the GEX.  Do most people ride the GEX uninterrupted and not get off? We would like to get off in Chur, grab a bite to eat and then get back on.  I’ve attached the schedule I found.

Ideally, we would like to ride the PE900 which actually ends in Chur.  Then we would get on the PE 902 or PE 904 and be on our way.  We will have luggage (small bags) with us unless we elect to store them.

I want to be prepared when it comes time to make my reservations for the GEX.

Attachments:
  • kamil_krk
    Participant
    123 posts
    7 May 2024 at 8:33:04 #1501228

Tuckjp – you cannot to take (or even reserve) “Glacier Express” no 902 or 904 from Chur to St. Moritz. You are allow to take “Glacier Express” no 906 only. Keep in mind that:

1) you must pay full price for seat reservation again;

2) train no 906 depart from Chur at 18:58 and it’s running till 12th of October only;

3) train no 906 on Chur – St. Moritz section is coupled with regular Interregio train.

Kamil

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Danielsan
    Participant
    648 posts
    7 May 2024 at 13:38:14 #1506440

Hi Tuckjp,

Generally speaking, the Glacier Express (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/glacier-express/) is not a ‘hop on, hop off’ train. Even with the Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass/). Your best bet would be to just stay on until you get to St Moritz. You can get off in Chur, but as mentioned by kamil_krk, you can’t just hop back on and would need the additional seat reservation. If you do want to get off in Chur for some food, just take the next available regional train to St Moritz. That you can do with the STP. It’s about a two hour ride and runs along the same tracks as the GE, so you won’t miss any of the scenery. Sit on the right-hand side of the train to get a better view of the Landwasser Viaduct. It comes up quick and is about 50 minutes or so into the ride, just before Filisur. Have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Tuckjp
    Participant
    14 posts
    7 May 2024 at 15:05:53 #1507444

Danielsan and Kamil_krk–Thanks for your replies–very helpful.

So for clarification sake…..If we decide to not get off in Chur, why can we not reserve the 902 or 904 from Andermatt to St. Moritz?

kamil_krk
    Participant
    123 posts
    7 May 2024 at 17:01:18 #1507448

Tuckjp – you’re able to reserve and take train no 902 or no 904 from Andermatt to St. Moritz, no problem. They are inaccessible for travellers who would like to enter into this trains further than in Andermatt only.

Be aware that it is extremely (EXTREMELY) hard to book seat onboard train no 902.

Kamil

Annika
    7142 posts
    8 May 2024 at 12:58:40 #1513837

Hi Tuckjp,

In addition to the advice you’ve received so far, these tips for booking your Glacier Express seats may be of help as well: https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/glacier-express-reservations/. I hope you’ll manage to secure seats for your preferred train :-)!

Tuckjp
    Participant
    14 posts
    14 May 2024 at 15:48:18 #1538512

Since I asked this original question, I’ve been looking at schedules and reviewing the options on the GEX website.  I’ve looked at reservations 93 days out (even though my travel date isn’t until October).  I’ve also looked at reservations within the next 10 days.  What I have found is that there are often tickets/reservations available from Chur to St. MOritz but they are always on the last train of the day and NEVER on any of the earlier trains.  Is this typical?  Since this would not put us into St. MOritz until 9pm at night, and we will miss much of the mountain scenery, and that is really not an option. As a reminder, our total trip for this day needs to start in Lucerne and end in Pontresina. I”ve read that the Andermatt to St. Moritz leg of the GEX is the most scenic section that would work with our itinerary so that’s what I’ve been working toward.

I also went to the Happy Rails website and looked at a day in August.  It offered me an option from Lucerne to St. MOritz via Andermatt and Chur that I could purchase for $53 for 2nd class.  The Andermatt to Chur leg is on the GEX 900.  The Chur to St. Moritz option was on a regional train.  The site acted like I could click on the PURCHASE link. Would I still need to get a reservation? The SBB website offers the same option but requires a reservation for the GEX.

So, I’m confused…..Should we abandon this plan and just go ahead and try to book the Bernina Express from Chur to St. Moritz/Pontresina on this particular day? Those reservations are available now.  We’re not opposed to the regional trains for part of the trip but really wanted to experience the GEX.

Sorry for all the questions.

kamil_krk
    Participant
    123 posts
    14 May 2024 at 17:47:45 #1538528

Tuckjp – I wrote about this in my post at 7th of May… If you want to go “Glacier Express” from Chur to St. Moritz you can choose ONLY train no 906 departing from Chur at 18:58 (running till 12th of October only); there is no other option. If you want to go earlier “Glacier Express”, then you must enter into the train in Andermatt. If you want to reach St. Moritz by panoramic train during an afternoon, then you must take “Bernina Express” to Pontresina departing from Chur at 13:34 (with change for local train in Samedan or Pontresina).

Kamil

Tuckjp
    Participant
    14 posts
    14 May 2024 at 20:06:54 #1538531

Kamil–We are fine with boarding the GEX in Andermatt–just want to go earlier in the day. Are you saying we can only go from Andermatt to Chur on the GEX and then we need to change to Bernina or regional train? Or should we try to book Andermatt to St. Moritz on the GEX? That is what I’m not seeing any tickets for except the late one.  Thanks for your help!

kamil_krk
    Participant
    123 posts
    14 May 2024 at 21:22:15 #1538534

Tuckjp – sorry, I made a mistake :/ You can go from Andermatt to Chur onboard “Glacier Express” trains no 900 (dep. 10:54) and 906 (dep. 15:54). Both of they terminate in Chur.

Kamil

Anna
    6465 posts
    14 May 2024 at 21:50:36 #1538537

Hi Tuckjp,

Most visitors take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur and transfer to Zurich, or switch to the Bernina Express to St Moritz or Tirano in Chur.

Perhaps taking the Glacier Express to Chur, then continue with the Bernina Express (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/bernina-express/) to St Moritz could be an option for you. You’d have to check the timing though. The scenic trains don’t run regularly. But you could always take the regional trains. They travel on the same tracks and routes as the scenic trains.

Regards,

Anna

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    15 May 2024 at 8:41:47 #1538545

Hi Tuckjp,

>>> What I have found is that there are often tickets/reservations available from Chur to St. MOritz but they are always on the last train of the day and NEVER on any of the earlier trains …

My best guess is that passengers doing the whole trip, or most of it, are prioritised for reservations, and those wanting a comparatively short section are only offered the less popular services.

If you want reservations on an earlier service, you will need to board at Zermatt or Brig Bahnhofplatz.

>>> our total trip for this day needs to start in Lucerne and end in Pontresina ….. We’re not opposed to the regional trains for part of the trip but really wanted to experience the GEX.

Do a timetable search

• From Luzern
    • To St Moritz
    • via Brig Bahnhofplatz
    • via Andermatt

You don’t tell us your actual travel date, so I did the above search for Wed 9 October 2024 and have attached a screenshot showing the recommended connections, which might suit you better than any other alternative you have found. It will get you to St Moritz before sunset, travelling on the Glacier Express between Brig and St Moritz.

Once you are in St Moritz, there won’t be any problem making the short hop to Pontresina.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Tuckjp
    Participant
    14 posts
    15 May 2024 at 14:32:43 #1547901

Thank you Kamil, Anna, Alpenrose.  I think I understand this now!  I really appreciate your timely responses!

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.