Bought Swiss Travel Passes too late?

• Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    3 June 2017 at 18:14:25 #812108

Hi everyone! I’m having a minor meltdown here and need some advice. We’re a little late buying the Swiss Travel Pass. We arrive in Zurich Jun 5 (Monday morning) and I only just managed to get passes online at Happy Rail (earliest pass available on SBB site was Jun 9). I was under the impression I could get e-tickets instantly, but after I paid, the notification said that it would take one working day.

Today is Sunday. There simply isn’t enough time! Even if the tickets arrive when we land in Zurich, how will I print them out?! I should have just waited and bought the passes at the airport! I was just so frantic I didn’t think of it.

Please someone tell me that there is a way to make this work out 🙁

Thanks in advance from a really stressed out traveller

• Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2017 at 20:45:31 #864416

Hi Shinyhappy1,

There is a manual process involved in issuing passes. During weekdays it often takes hours or just a day. In weekends it takes until Monday usually. You can print the pass anywhere: at the airport, in your hotel, etc. That might be easier than cancelling the pass (if possible) and buying a new one at the airport during train station opening hours. Here’s a thread discussing the same issue: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/help-travelling-in-2-days-but-no-swiss-pass. It will be fine, no worries! Just be sure you can receive e-mail.

Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 June 2017 at 7:15:14 #864417

Thank you so very much, Arno. I really was quite beside myself with worry. Guess that’ll teach me to do things at the last minute! I don’t expect the passes will show up till after we land. It will be a good excuse for us to slow down and take our time while waiting.

thanks again. This forum is awesome.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 8:41:21 #864418

This just reminded me that it is a holiday in Switzerland on Monday – just FYI in case you need to do some shopping/eating at restaurants etc. Do so at the airport or larger train stations – many other places will be closed in Zurich/Switzerland.

You should still get your pass emailed to you but if it takes til Tuesday morning that is why.

Happy Pfingstmontag! 🙂

Lucas

Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 June 2017 at 11:46:12 #864419

Oh no! But happy rail is in the Netherlands right? Is it a holiday there too?

Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 June 2017 at 12:42:15 #864420

Lucas, do you know if I can buy the Swiss travel pass at the sbb station on public holidays then? I’ll try and cancel with happy rail maybe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 15:26:06 #864421

The SBB office will be open on the holiday yes.

I am not sure the holiday will affect you getting the Swiss Travel Pass with Happy Rail but it is possible.

You can discuss the options with Swiss railway staff at the airport and see what is possible.
    I doubt you can cancel with Happy Rail at no charge; so I would wait and see if you get the pass first.

Are you traveling extensively immediately after arriving in Zurich?

Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 June 2017 at 16:17:22 #864422

Hi Lucas, we’re heading straight to wengen but there are six of us, three of whom are children. The individual tickets really add up. I’m taking this as an expensive lesson and trying not to stress out about it too much. No wonder people say you learn a lot traveling! Our flight has been delayed so maybe just maybe those passes will show up anyway?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 16:30:03 #864423

I hope they show up for you!
    Yes, it is best to try not to stress too much – if they aren’t in your email when you arrive, head down to the trains at Zurich airport and you will find the Swiss railways office (SBB) and they can hopefully offer a solution to you.

HappyRail is based in the Netherlands so it should be ok? Their website has a contact form and they say they reply within 4 hours, often within 1 hour. Try explaining the situation and they can hopefully get the email to you more quickly.

Shinyhappy1
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 June 2017 at 17:39:32 #864424

Hi Lucas and Arno,

just wanted to update that the passes didn’t show upon our arrival in Zurich so we went ahead and bought new ones at the sbb office. Meanwhile, I had emailed happy rail before our flight requesting to cancel and hoping they’d be kind enough to.

Good news is that someone checked their email in the afternoon despite it being a holiday and they agreed to do a refund!

It is a huge weight of my mind and a lesson learnt to not rush into things at the last minute.

We are now in wengen and look forward to the rest of our trip. Fingers crossed for clear skies as it is very cloudy today. Still, the valley and mountains are so magical! I am totally in awe of how beautiful this part of the world is.

thank you again for your help. It is deeply appreciated!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 7:35:33 #864425

That is good news indeed! Good to hear.

I have also been caught out in similar situations – mostly to do with plans having to change due to holidays I didn’t know about – now I google the country holidays ahead of time!

Lesson learned and glad it all worked out! Here’s hoping for good weather for you!

• The thread ‘Bought Swiss Travel Passes too late?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11150 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.