Tips for day trips from Basel in October, no mountain excursions

• Ut_ron
    Participant
    6 posts
    14 April 2024 at 18:30:36 #1405432

We are taking a river cruise out of Basel. We get in October 26. We have 27th free before we leave on the 28th.

I have been to Switzerland a long time ago but remember just how pretty and picturesque the mountain villages were.

I had suggested to take that day and go to Lucerne and take the cog railroad to mount Rigi. The couple were going with, she looked up cog railroad in the area and saw the one for MT PILATUS. She goes nope not getting on that.

I know the one to rigi is that that steep but was wondering if how steep it is. Both our wives don’t like scary rides. Don’t like gondola’s either. I know missing a lot LOL.

We do not have to do mount rigi.

Open to suggestions on maybe a train route that would take us to areas with smaller villages.

• MikeHw
    Participant
    7 posts
    15 April 2024 at 13:39:55 #1406758

Hello.

Do you want something pretty or something interesting?

If you are interested in history you could try searching Kaiser Augst. This is a museum partly indoors and partly ouside and tells the story of the Romans in this part of the world.

Mike

Ut_ron
    Participant
    6 posts
    15 April 2024 at 19:48:56 #1409541

Seeing as this is the first time for three of us I was thinking pretty. So sort of train ride that shows a lot of the country side.

would want to stop and have lunch at one of the villages.

Docvikrant
    Participant
    13 posts
    15 April 2024 at 20:46:01 #1409543

Hello

if you all want something quaint and pretty ,plz go through following options

nice villages ,castles ,local houses ,good gastronomy and not very far from Basel

1)Porrentruy

2)Saint Urssane

3)Luthern

hope that helps

cheers

Ut_ron
    Participant
    6 posts
    15 April 2024 at 21:40:19 #1409549

Thanks will check these out.

fletch182
    Participant
    22 posts
    16 April 2024 at 0:27:31 #1409554

Not sure if you are interested in visiting France (Colmar) or Rhine Falls? Closer to Basel check out the Dreilandereck. Whatever you choose it will be fantastic.

Anna
    6390 posts
    16 April 2024 at 21:01:09 #1415988

Hi Ut Ron,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Why not spend time in Basel and explore the city? Here’s a walking guide that might interest you: https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/walk-basel/

You can find sightseeing suggestions for Basel here: https://www.myswissalps.com/town/basel/

If you would like to travel a bit further but not interested in mountain excursions, I recommend visiting the cities of Lucerne (https://www.myswissalps.com/town/lucerne/) and Bern (https://www.myswissalps.com/town/bern/). It’s possible to do both in one or half a day.

Best regards,

anna

Ut_ron
    Participant
    6 posts
    20 April 2024 at 3:10:54 #1433831

Oh my gosh. So many great suggestions. Sure wish we had more time.

I tried to change the title but couldn’t figure out how. We are not opposed to mountain excursions but just not the really steep cog railroad.

Continuing to review various posts ( by the way a great site) I was wondering if this is possible.

Train to goldau

Cog to rigi

Cog from rigi to vitznau

Boat to Lucerne

Train to Basel

Anna
    6390 posts
    20 April 2024 at 20:19:50 #1436287

Hi ut_ron,

I think a day trip from Basel to Mt Rigi combined with a boat trip on Lake Lucerne is possible. I suggest leaving early in the morning and start with cogwheel train from Arth Goldau to Rigi Kulm so you will have plenty of time to catch the ferry from Vitznau to Lucerne. You can find details on how to plan a trip to Mt Rigi here: https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/rigi/. The train journey from Lucerne to Basel takes roughly 1 hour.

Regards,

Anna

Ut_ron
    Participant
    6 posts
    21 April 2024 at 0:03:00 #1436293

These cog railroads. Can people who are afraid of heights do these. From what I can see I think so but haven’t been on them.

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    21 April 2024 at 8:41:11 #1436296

Hi Ut_ron,

I don’t particularly enjoy heights but will ride cable cars etc when I really need to.  I rode the Arth Goldau to Rigi Kulm some years ago and for me it was fine. It’s very personal – I would say go with your ‘gut’ feeling. What is fine for some, is not for others.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Ut_ron
    Participant
    6 posts
    26 April 2024 at 23:06:56 #1464123

Thanks for all the information. You guys are the best 👍😊.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.