Our 10-day summer stay in the Jungfrau region

• Rlyons9999
    Participant
    16 posts
    12 July 2023 at 17:57:30 #830283

We just concluded our 10 days in the Jungfrau region. It was the best vacation of our lives. Much credit and many thanks to all the amazing people at MySwissAlps for their knowledge, insight and assistance. You guys were instrumental in making this trip so special. We arrived at our Airbnb in Wengen ready to hit the ground with most all of our questions already answered on where to go; what to see and do; and how to get there. Wengen was a perfect home base for us as it was easy to find mass transit to the entire region. Mastering how to use the SBB site for the trains as well as the various cable, cog rail, gondolas, trams, buses etc eliminated any stress. I do have one recommendation. Although we tried to pack light, we had one large, heavy, suitcase. That suitcase proved to be a huge hassle lugging it from the Zurich airport onto the various trains until we reached Wengen. After we arrived, I found out that the SBB will transport the suitcase for us. For a token amount of 12 CHF, we dropped off the suitcase at the Wengen station two days before we left and picked it up at the Zurich station which is right in the airport. Thanks again for all you do on this forum to help make everyone’s trip the best it can be.

• Yolanda
    2464 posts
    13 July 2023 at 8:01:28 #956408

Hello Rlyons9999,

Many thanks for your feedback on your trip. So happy to hear you had a such an amazing time!!!

I agree, the luggage service provided by SBB can be very handy.

Thank you again and for sharing your kind words for MySwissAlps. That means a lot.

Till your next trip here 😉

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Annika
    7140 posts
    13 July 2023 at 9:05:31 #956409

Thanks for getting back to us and sharing your experience Rlyons9999! I’m happy to hear you had such a wonderful stay. You’ve probably turn into a true fan of Wengen, right? There are many fans, and for a good reason. It’s one of the prettiest locations in the entire country :-).

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    28 July 2023 at 22:05:36 #956410

Do you know if SBB transports luggage from other towns? We could use that service from St Moritz to Grinelwald.

Miggles

Anna
    6434 posts
    29 July 2023 at 1:06:58 #956411

Hi Miggles.

SBB does provide luggage transfer services. You can find further info and links here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage (scroll down to the section ‘Luggage services’)

regards,

Anna

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    29 July 2023 at 1:23:11 #956412

Ana,

Thank you, Ana. Is there a website to look at or a contact so I can look up what it entails. Will the SBB have information or is it a private service? We would want it from St Moritz to Grindelwald. Would it be safer to pick up our luggage in Interlaken and then us transport it to Grindelwald? I was just worried about the changes since there are 3 train changes on that route.

Miggles

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    29 July 2023 at 1:38:43 #956413

Ana, I reread the information and now realize SBB arranges this. We only stay in St. Moritz overnight. If we drop off our luggage at the station when we come into town, would it make it to Grindelwald by the next day. We are coming in on the Bernia Express from Tirano. Not sure we could just leave it on that train since it is a special panoramic train.

Miggles

Anna
    6434 posts
    29 July 2023 at 14:41:09 #956414

Hi Miggles,

SBB offers station-to-station luggage transport. This service allows you to hand your luggage at a station and collect it at your destination station two days later. You can find further information here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/before-your-journey/luggage/luggage/station-to-station.html

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    29 July 2023 at 16:42:21 #956415

Hi Miggles,

From what I understand and have read, you can have your luggage delivered right to your hotel, as well as to a particular station. Have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    29 July 2023 at 18:55:15 #956416

Thanks Danielsan,

We are staying in an apartment so will probably need to pick up our luggage at the train station. My only concern is the 2 day wait. We will be at our destination the following late afternoon. If anyone who reads this has used this luggage delivery service, please let me know if luggage got there on time and they did not lose it!!

Miggles

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    29 July 2023 at 23:07:43 #956417

Hi Miggles,

If you drop off luggage early enough, it qis possible that it will reach the train station by the next night even though it says 2 days. It’s not guaranteed, but it can happen. Just pack enough for a night’s stay in your backpack (if you’re carrying one) to tie you over the next night just in case. You can always take things out and lighten the load once you check in to your apt. By the way, there are a few stations in Grindelwald. Make sure to send it to the right one. Check where your apt is located in relation to the train station.

Regards,

Danielsan

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    30 July 2023 at 0:04:31 #956418

Danielsan,

We were told from the train station take bus 121 to the Whirsten station Firstbahn/Sunstar Hotel stop and then walk a little further. I am not sure which station but will ask the rental company. Thanks for that idea to check early.

Miggles

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    30 July 2023 at 8:28:38 #956419

Hi Miggles,

No problem. I’m glad to have brought to your attention. I’m not wholly familiar w G-wald as I stayed in Wengen 5 years ago. I was there in G-wald nearly 50 years ago, but that doesn’t quite count now…lol. I just know it can be confusing as to the stops there, and I just wanted to bring to your attention. Enjoy.

Danielsan

• The thread ‘Our 10-day summer stay in the Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11290 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.