Excursion to and hiking around Gelmerbahn and Brienzer Rothorn

• lisaderrick
    Participant
    1 post
    3 May 2024 at 12:31:06 #1492644

We have time in both Lucern and Brienz.

Am I correct in thinking I should go to Gelmerbahn from Brienz not Lucern. I would like to do a hike when we get up there. Which would you recommend. Take the Glmerbahn up and then hike Lake Gelmer then take the trip back down. Or hike up the Handeck Glemersee and take Glemerbahn down.

We would also like to take the Brienzer Rothom train to top and then hike back  Planalp then train down. Could we when combine this day with a trip to Faulensee hike to Spiez and see the villages of Thun and Speiz. Dont want to rush too much.

Thanks Lisa

• Anna
    6458 posts
    4 May 2024 at 21:14:36 #1496864

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

You could start your journey from either Lucerne or Brienz. However if you start in Brienz, your journey to the Gelmerbahn base station would take only 1 hour (instead of 2 hours from Lucerne). Please consult the Swiss timetable (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/) for train and bus schedules. The nearest stop is Gelmerbahn, Handegg.

Most visitors would just take the funicular up, hike to the lake and have a picnic then ride the funicular back down. This is a popular excursion (the steep open-air funicular is a big attraction) and it’s recommended to purchase your ticket in advance.

Regards,

Anna

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    5 May 2024 at 20:05:12 #1497272

Hi Lisa,

Just to add. I am not sure when you will be visiting but the trains to Brienzer Rothorn do not commence till June.

All information, including operation dates for a visit to Brienzer Rothorn can be found in the below link:

If you plan to hike down to Brienz from Brienzer Rothorn, via Planap, the general guide is 5 hours.

Another option is to omit the hike and take the cogwheel train down to Brienz from the top of Brienzer Rothorn.  Thereon you could take a train to Spiez or Faulensee for the walk.

I assume this outing would be separate from your visit to Gelmerbahn?  I think combining both would be too ambitious.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11380 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.