Glacier Express: how to upgrade 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass to 1st?

• Robin G
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 April 2024 at 20:07:50 #1429361

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this is a redundant question, but it’s a bit confusing.

So, in order to have all my passes and reservations and upgrades for the glacier express, I believe it’s a 3 step process (correct me if I am wrong).

1.  seat reservation on Glacier express – I did this 93 days in advance in First Class so all complete
    2. Purchase a Swiss Travel pass  – 2nd class – I see where I can do this online so all good.
    3. Now I have to purchase an upgrade for one day to 1st class?  This is the part that I am unsure of where to get this upgrade?

Many thanks for your support!

Robin

• Yolanda
    2387 posts
    18 April 2024 at 0:23:11 #1429371

Hi Robin,

Great to hear you will be enjoying a ride on the Glacier Express and that you have also secured your seat reservations 🙂

In order to upgrade your 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass to 1st, all is explained in our guide below, scroll to “Glacier Express upgrade tickets for 1st class and Excellence Class”

If you click on the highlighted word “Upgrade”, this will direct to our web page https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/train/classes/. If you navigate to “Other websites of interest”, you’ll find some handy links to assist you to upgrade.  (You can also carry out your upgrade at any rail station or ticket machine).

Online purchase options for your Swiss Travel Pass can also be found here:

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.