Zermatt-Gornergrat: priority boarding seat allocation and ticket price

• Sreedhar
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2024 at 7:29:55 #1384845

Dear Friends: Your thoughts on the following queries would be highly helpful.

1. Gornergrat cogwheel train (from Zermatt): I believe even with a ‘Priority Boarding’ as an add-on to the normal ticket, you do not get a confirmed seat. Is my understanding correct? If yes, what is a definitive way to get a confirmed seat reservation?
    2. The normal ticket price of CHF 114 (in May-2024): Is this price for One-way or Two-way (Onward & Return)?

Thanks. === Sreedhar

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    10 April 2024 at 11:00:29 #1387413

Hi Sreedhar,

Yes, with priority boarding on the Gornergrat train (CHF 7 per person), you don’t get an allocated seat. Seat reservations are not possible.

The number of people who can get priority boarding is limited, and these people get access to a special waiting area, from which they can board the train 3 minutes ahead of other passengers, so they have a better chance of getting a good seat.

The ticket price of CHF 114 is for a return ticket i.e. from Zermatt to the Gornergrat and back again in May 2024.

Hope this clarifies things!

Alpenrose

Sreedhar
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2024 at 12:01:05 #1388522

Thank you for your help, Alpenrose. Have a good day.  === Sreedhar

Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    10 April 2024 at 12:29:42 #1389142

Sreedhar, we decided NOT to use priority boarding. Instead, we bought our tickets and let the next train board without us. We waited 20 minutes first in line for the next train. We boarded easily and grabbed seats on the right side with open windows which had the best views of the Matterhorn going up.

Sreedhar
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2024 at 13:33:37 #1390891

Thank you for bringing further clarity, Swede4life. Have a nice day. ==== Sreedhar

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    10 April 2024 at 16:00:11 #1394359

Hi Sreedhar,

Lots of helpful advice and clarifications.  In case you’ve not read our handy guide for an excursion to Gornergrat, you can do so in the below link:

The only thing I would add, is not to buy your tickets too in advance. Do check the weather forecast beforehand, so you know the weather will be fine when you head up.  A day in advance or even on the morning would be fine.  (https://www.myswissalps.com/planning/practical/weather/forecast/)

Enjoy your Gornergrat outing!

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Mlfish4343
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 April 2024 at 20:31:06 #1405068

Hi Yolanda – would you make the same recommendation (buy the tickets the day before or the morning of) if the trip was in late August?  That is when we will be going.  Thank you!!!

Michael

Sreedhar
    Participant
    13 posts
    14 April 2024 at 7:39:38 #1405085

Thank you for your insight, Yolanda. I seem to have missed your note earlier. === Thanks. == Sreedhar

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    14 April 2024 at 10:24:44 #1405086

Hi Michael,

>>> would you make the same recommendation (buy the tickets the day before or the morning of) if the trip was in late August?

Yes, this recommendation holds good regardless of the time of year.

You can get clear sunny days on a mountain top in the middle of winter, and the mountains can disappear into the clouds in the middle of summer. The likely conditions on the top of a mountain can’t be reliably forecast more than 24-48 hours ahead.

If you buy a ticket in advance, and the mountain is in the clouds on the day of your visit, you will see nothing except fog, and won’t get a refund!

Hope this clarifies things!

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    14 April 2024 at 17:14:45 #1405427

Hi Michael,

Yes, I would, per Alpensrose’s reply. A day before or on the morning.  Mountain weather can change quite quickly so we always advise not to purchase tickets too in advance.

Do check the local weather forecast and any webcams prior 🙂  Some useful links are included in the link below:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.