Itinerary rail pass for 4 days Jungfrau Region from Wengen in May

• swiss>3
    Participant
    5 posts
    4 May 2024 at 23:34:00 #1496869

Hello everyone!

We are staying in Wengen and have 4 full days to explore from 5/22/24-5/25/24. My husband (51) and 46) read so many threads here and online but are still confused and cannot finalize a 4-day itinerary that allows us to visit the Jungfrau region. Please help me revise the itinerary and questions so I can plan better if any other way I can accomplish more. We are thinking of STP+BO or Swiss half fare + BO for our 12-day trip. We also want to fit in Photoshoot one day if possible since we are celebrating our 25th anniversary.

Day 1: Wengen to Jungfraujoch

• Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg by cable care at 7:46 AM
    • Kleine Scheidegg to Eigergletscher and Jungfraujoch (Reach by 10 AM
    • stay up 10 AM-2 PM
    • Jungfraujoch to Wengen/Grindelwald (Return by 4PM)
    • What can we do from 4 PM onwards? Can we do Grindelwald first same day without any activities?

Day 2: Wengen to Murren

• Wengen to Murren reach by 9:30 (By bus since Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren is close)
    • Walk around Murren town and breakfast (Any suggestion for breakfast place?)
    • Airtime paragliding @10:45
    • Lunch at Piz gloria around 12:30
    • Murren to Gimmelwald hike or easy hike Recommendation?
    • While coming back visit Trummelbach Falls if possible or fit in some other day?

Day 3: Wengen to Grindelwald

• Reach first by 10 AM
    • First Cliff Walk,
    • First View Platform Hike to lake Bachalpsee
    • First Glider and flyer (not sure)
    • Glacier Canyon at Gletscherschlucht (If time permits)

Day 4: lake Brienz cruise and surrounding areas 

• Interlaken OST(see) to Brienz (see)
    • Brienz to Aare Gorge Spend 1-2 hours
    • Aare Gorge to Brienz (see) and visit town for half an hour
    • Brienz(see) to Giessbach (See) take the funicular up to the Grand Hotel and eat lunch around 1-2 PM
    • walk/boat/train to Iseltwald and spend some time
    • Iseltwald to Interlaken by evening time to Harder Kulm to watch sunset and dinner.
    • Return to Hotel in Wengen
  • swiss>3
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 May 2024 at 18:19:30 #1497269

Can someone please help to review and revise my itinerary?

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    5 May 2024 at 22:03:14 #1497278

Hi swiss>3,

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary.

My comments as follows:

1. Day 1:  Do check the weather forecast before purchasing your tickets for a visit to Jungfraujoch (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/jungfraujoch/).  You would want to be sure of favourable weather.  Either a day before or on the morning will be OK, once you know the weather will be fine.
    • Yes, that’s possible to visit Grindelwald-First (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/grindelwald-first/) afterwards if you are not planning any activities. However if you are visiting Grindelwald-First on day 3, is there a particular reason you are wanting to visit on day 1. If it’s just to enjoy the views, that sounds fine.

2. I have heard the Hotel Eiger Mürren restaurant is lovely and also has lovely views to enjoy too.  You can also ask the local tourist office for recommendations too.  Take a look at our Mürren guide, if you scroll to Other websites of interest, there are some useful sites to research.

You can reach the Trümmelbach Falls from Lauterbrunnen, you can take a bus or you may enjoy the walk. It is relatively easy. One way, it will take you around 45 mins.  Of course this is personal depending on your own walking speed.

Other gentle walks, this one:  https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-grutschalp-murren/

3.  Day 3 & 4, look fine. Just use the Swiss timetable to plan and gauge journey times.  You have a lot planned, so early starts would be advisable.  Here are our guides to the walk from Giessbach to Iseltwald and a visit to Harder Kulm:

4.  If you have not booked your accommodation in Wengen as yet, there are some suggestions in the attached link:

5.  In regard to your rail pass for your trip.  If just staying in the Bernese Oberland, then for sure the Berner Oberland Pass would be a sound investment.  If you have additional plans to travel further afar, then it could be that the Swiss Travel Pass would be a better option or the Berner Oberland Pass + Swiss Half Fare Card combination.  I don’t think you would need the combination of the Swiss Travel Pass and the Berner Oberland Pass. The best thing to do is carry out some maths based on your daily plans. We have a guide to assist, there is also a downloadable spreadsheet you can use.  Thereon the best rail pass is displayed.  Please take a look in the attached link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/compare/

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.