Jungfraujoch day trip from Zurich: quickest route and ticket prices

• F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    7 May 2024 at 12:22:19 #1505145

Hi everyone!

I am planning a day trip from Zurich to Jungfraujoch via the quickest route on the Eiger Express and I was wondering if someone could please help me to clarify the best route and ticket/final cost as I am definitely going to be buying either the Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card (still calculating which is best!).

SWISS TRAVEL PASS:

For the STP, am I correct in thinking that:

-Return travel from Zurich (Zurich – Interlaken – Grindelwald) is free

-Then from Grindelwald I need to buy a ticket for Jungfraujoch from Eiger Glacier Station to take the Eiger Express which would be 25% off at CHF 151 (Prices taken from here: https://www.swissrailways.com/en/buy-jungfraujoch-ticket)?

HALF FARE CARD:

-Return travel from Zurich (Zurich – Interlaken – Grindelwald) is 50% off

-Then from Grindelwald I need to buy a ticket for Jungfraujoch from Eiger Glacier Station which is 50% off at CHF 100?

QUESTION ABOUT THE ROUTE: Is the quickest route stated below or is there another way please?

• Zurich to Interlaken: There is a direct train at 8:02am
    • Interlaken to Grindelwald
    • Grindelwald to Eiger Glacier Station
    • Eiger Glacier Station to Jungfraujoch

Please can you advise on what exact ticket I need to buy and the total cost if I have either the STP or Half Fare Card? I want to visit the Sphinx Observatory, Alpine Sensation and Ice Palace.

Lastly, I’m planning this for around May 19th (can be moved by a couple of days), has anyone been there in May, what is the weather like etc?

I know it’s a long day but I want to make the most of the trip and I won’t be doing any hiking etc to the hut once I get to the top, I’ve read that around 2 hours is a good time to spend on the activities I’d like to do, so would plan to leave Zurich on the 8am train.

Thank you so much for your help!

• Yolanda
    2496 posts
    8 May 2024 at 20:52:50 #1520655

Hi F_p,

Thanks for sharing your research and great to hear you are planning a visit to Jungfraujoch.

If you are visiting Switzerland for a few days and envisage traveling a lot, it’s probably definitely worth investing in a rail pass.  Whether it’s the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card, it’ll all boil down to calculations and your actual daily plans.  If you need some help with this, take a look at our “how to choose a rail pass” link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/compare/

For your trip to Jungfraujoch, from Zurich main station to Jungfraujoch, according to the Swiss timetable (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/), the quickest route would take 3h and 39 minutes.

Cost wise, if you had the Swiss Travel Pass, that’s correct, all your travel would be covered to Grindelwald.  Thereon, a discounted ticket would need to be purchased at CHF151. If you’ve not come across our Swiss Travel Pass guide, you can find it here:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass//  Lots of useful information here, including a coverage map, how to use and online purchase options.

With the Swiss Half Fare Card, a return trip from Zurich, you’d be looking at CHF 185.  More on the Swiss Half Fare Card here:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/

I’d take a read of our comprehensive Jungfraujoch guide too, here’s the link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/jungfraujoch/ 

Weather wise, it’s best to keep tabs on the weather nearer the date.  Weather in the mountains is very changeable, so it’s hard to tell you today how it will be when you visit.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 May 2024 at 23:58:01 #1520664

Hi Yolanda,

Thank you very much for your response and help!

I have looked at your pages on here about the passes etc. and have actually been using your spreadsheet to help calculate the costs which has been VERY useful!

I’m leaning towards the Half Fare Card as that is coming out around CHF 76 cheaper than the 6 day STP.

When I looked on SBB and put in Zurich – Grindelwald, I select Grindelwald Terminal, is that correct? As then when I say return journey, it offers me the Saver Day Pass at CHF 54, meaning that the total price on the Half Fare Card with the Jungfraujoch half fare (CHF 100) brings it to a grand total of CHF 154. 

Please can you confirm that total price is correct and I’m looking at the right stations on SBB?

Thank you again for your help. 

F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 May 2024 at 13:04:56 #1521602

*edit to the above, I’ve been looking at alternative dates of the 19th or 21st which is why the saver day pass comes up as an option as it’s sold out on the 20th.

Thank you 🙂

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 16:39:05 #1522478

Hi F_p,

Yes, the Saver Day Passes are not always available so once plans are definite and they are the better option, I’d purchase your Saver Day Pass as soon as you can.  Prices can fluctuate too.

Happy to hear the spreadsheet is proving useful with your calculations 🙂

Correct, if you are visiting Jungfraujoch, you’d need to arrive at Grindelwald Terminal.  Here you would take the Eiger Express to Eigergletscher and then onward to Jungfraujoch. Details for a visit to Jungfraujoch are all explained in our guide, there are also some online ticket options listed too :

We explain the 3 Grindelwald stops in our Grindelwald guide.  See attached link:

The price is correct for a visit to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald Terminal, with your Swiss Half Fare Card (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/) at CHF100.50.  So plus the price of the Saver Day Pass which you found for your chosen date (CHF54), yes CHF154.50.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 May 2024 at 20:04:53 #1522489

Thank you, Yolanda!

I’m a bit hesitant to buy the saver day pass right now because of not knowing what the weather will be like on the day and worried that it might be cloudy and not worth the journey up there. My understanding is that Saver Day passes aren’t refundable, is that correct?

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 21:32:56 #1522492

Hi F_p,

Unfortunately, Saver Day Passes are non refundable.

I understand holding back but if you are in Switzerland for a few days or more, it may make sense to invest in a rail pass.  All the available rail passes are explained here, with handy online purchase options too – they’d be emailed to you 🙂

Kind regards,

Yolanda

F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 May 2024 at 21:50:59 #1522494

Thank you, I am definitely going to buy a rail pass but likely the half fare card which is why I’m looking at the saver day pass. As calculating my planned trips, it seems that the overall cost with the half fare is cheaper than the STP.

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 22:59:34 #1522498

Understood and all clear.

If available, you could also look into Supersaver tickets, which would be reduced with your Swiss Half Fare Card. These tickets are time and date specific and also non refundable but could be an alternative if the Saver Day Pass is not available.  Supersaver tickets explained here, with purchase recommendations too:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    10 May 2024 at 5:47:09 #1522507

Hi F_p,

>>> I’m a bit hesitant to buy the saver day pass right now because of not knowing what the weather will be like on the day and worried that it might be cloudy and not worth the journey up there.

Saver Day Passes are not for a specific route. You can use them all over Switzerland on the selected day for trains, buses, boats and cable cars to inhabited places.

If the Jungfraujoch is in the clouds, it could be that the Rigi near Luzern is clear, and your Saver Day Pass would cover that in full. Or Titlis might be clear, in which case your Saver Day Pass would get you to Engelberg, where you can buy a ticket with your Swiss Half Fare Card for the cableways up to the top. Or you could take a cruise on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne). The possibilities are endless!

If you need a refresher on what the Saver Day Pass covers and how it works, there is plenty of information here:

https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/saver-day-pass/

Information about things to do and see in the Luzern area is here:

https://www.myswissalps.com/town/lucerne/

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    10 May 2024 at 14:24:07 #1525201

Thank you very much Yolanda & Alpenrose!

Yes, that is all very helpful, I’ll take a look at other option for the day pass in case I need to change plans 🙂

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.