Frankfurt-Zurich: have Eurail pass but unable book on eurail.com

• Grant
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 April 2024 at 3:34:41 #1384836

I’d love some help please!  Our family is flying into Frankfurt and then needs to take a train to Zurich.  We already have our Eurail passes purchased, and I’m trying to book reserved seats on trains from Frankfurt -> Mannheim -> Zurich, but every time I try to purchase them on Eurail.com I’m getting the message in the attached image.  I tried another route through Basel and am getting the same thing.  Can anyone tell me why it won’t let me book this?  I would appreciate any help you can give.  Thank you so much!
    Grant

• kamil_krk
    Participant
    114 posts
    10 April 2024 at 7:03:22 #1384843

Grant – avoid Eurail reservation system… For mentioned journey reserve seats on direct website only:

https://int.bahn.de/

On specific day there are many free places and everything works fine. You’ll pay 4,90 EUR for whole journey for person only 😉

Kamil

Grant
    Participant
    3 posts
    11 April 2024 at 3:05:29 #1398125

Kamil, I tried booking directly on that site but it was charging me almost 300 Euros to book the tickets.  How do I show that I already have a Eurail pass and so that I don’t have to pay for the tickets and only pay for the reserved seats?  Thank you so much for your help!

Grant

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    11 April 2024 at 4:55:34 #1398132

Hi Grant,

I have attached a screenshot from the journey planner on the Deutsche Bahn website, and drawn a red box around the slider you need to turn “on” to indicate you want a reservation only.

I’ve also highlighted where you need to choose the correct class of travel to correspond with the class of your Eurail Pass.

As Kamil mentioned previously, the charge per passenger will be €4.90.

I hope this clarifies things and that you successfully make your reservation!

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    11 April 2024 at 10:57:46 #1398933

Hi Grant,

Trust all is now clear – very helpful responses from Kamil and Alpenrose.  I hope you can now manage to reserve the necessary seats 🙂

We have a handy guide to the Eurail Global Pass and have summarised the ‘Swiss’ side of things in case you were interested in reading:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Grant
    Participant
    3 posts
    12 April 2024 at 2:36:09 #1399894

Alpenrose, thank you so much!  I just booked our seats per your instructions and it worked beautifully.  Thank you SO much for your help!  I truly appreciate it!

And Yolanda, thank you for the kind words and the link to Eurail info!

All the best,

Grant

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    12 April 2024 at 7:50:46 #1399898

You’re welcome Grant!  Glad I could help!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.