Itinerary help for 8 days Switzerland in October

• shahpratik
    Participant
    3 posts
    20 September 2017 at 15:22:25 #813311

Hello Folks

I need your help with finalizing my itinerary for my 8 days Switzerland trip. Please see at the table below and let me know if it can work and off course your suggestions ! Thanks !

7-Oct-17 Arrival at Zurich (Afternoon)

7-Oct-17 Zurich to Lucerne by train, Lucerne sight scene in evening, over night stay at Lucerne

8-Oct-17 Lucerne to Montreux (Golden Pass Train) ,Montreux sight scene in evening, Overnight stay at Montreux hotel

9-Oct-17 Montreux to Interlaken via Bern reaching Interlaken in evening, Overnight stay at Interlaken

10-Oct-17 Stay at Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen/Wengen – Hiking , Sight Scene

11-Oct-17 Chur to St Moritz or Tirano via Bernia Express, overnight stay at St Moritz or Tirano

12-Oct-17 Tirano or St Moritz to Zermatt via Glacier express and then train to Lucerne

13-Oct-17 Lucerne sight scene and train to Zurich in evening , overnight stay at Zurich

14-Oct-17 Zurich Sight Scene, overnight stay at Zurich Zurich

15-Oct-17 Departure from Zurich (morning flight)

Thanks all in advance

• Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    20 September 2017 at 17:07:47 #870006

Hi Shahpratik and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you’ll find some of your days to be much too long with the train travel and you might want to re think it.

Use the timetable here to plan out all your trips and see if the time is worth it to you.

• 11-Oct-17 –> Interlaken to Chur to Tirano is very long. I would just go as far as St. Moritz especially as you are back tracking the next day to Chur to take the Glacier Express to Zermatt
    • 12-Oct-17 –>The Glacier Express from Chur to Zermatt is 8 hours plus another 2.5 or 3 to Luzern…not something I would want to do in one day as there would then be no time to see Zermatt
    • Why not do all your Luzern sightseeing on your first visit there and go straight to Zurich from Zermatt?

My idea would be something like this: Luzern 2 nights, Montreux 1 night, Interlaken 2 nights, St. Moritz 1 night, Zermatt 1 night and Zurich 1 night.

Lucas

shahpratik
    Participant
    3 posts
    20 September 2017 at 17:22:27 #870007

Thanks so much Lucas for quick reply with great suggestions.

I realized it makes sense to do all at Luzern in one stay rather than breaking it in two stay. I agree. Thanks for that.

On other suggestion, do you suggest Bernia express from Chur to St Moritz (How many hours?) and stay at St Moritz or come back to Chur ? and next day Chur to Zermatt and then finally Zermatt to Zurich. Is that what you recommending ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    21 September 2017 at 8:35:26 #870008

You can find train schedules for Chur to St. Moritz on the timetable link from my previous post. It is about 2 hours but you won’t be able to take the Bernina Express panoramic train (noted as BEX on the timetable) between those two towns but you can take a regional train on the same route.

Whether you stay in St. Moritz, Chur or Tirano is up to you – just be aware of the amount of train travel required to move between these towns and then back to Chur and on to Zermatt.

Lucas

shahpratik
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 September 2017 at 14:15:54 #870009

Thanks Lucas

Appreciate your reply and thanks for great suggestions and resources being provided on forum.

I am still reviewing my itinerary as I am fine tuning it. Few more question and suggestion if any

This is what I am revising my itinerary based on what I see

7 Oct – Zurich to St Moritz by train – night stay at St Moritz

8 Oct – St Moritz to Zermatt by Glacier Express, Night stay at Zermatt

9 Oct – Afternoon Zermatt to Montreux by train, night stay at Montreux

10 Oct – Montreux to Interlaken via Zweisimmen by Golden pass train , night stay at Grand Hotel Giessbach, Brienz (I would request to suggest nice hotel to stay as it is our anniversary !!)

11 Oct – afternoon to Lauterbrunnen & Wengen to see Jungfrau region and activity , night stay at Lauterbrunnen & Wengen (would again request your preference and hotel names please)

12 Oct – Lauterbrunnen & Wengen to Luzern night stay at Luzern (Thinking about Marriott autograph hotel – suggestion welcome !)

13 Oct – evening Luzern to Zurich by train , night stay at Zurich

14 Oct – Zurich and nearby activities

15 Oct – Return Flight

Thanks

Arno
    15496 posts
    23 September 2017 at 18:01:55 #870010

Hi Shahpratik,

On October 7, I’d suggest to get off the train from Zurich in Landquart. Then take a train via Klosters to St. Moritz. That way you don’t see the same route twice (again on October 8). The direct trains are the quickest, see the timetable Lucas referred too.

Grand Hotel Giessbach is certainly nice! A remote place near the waterfall. It’s listed on our page with hotels in the mountains. Admittedly this particular hotel is not high up in the Alps, but it is a special place. Note that all our town pages offer hotel suggestions, like here for Luzern: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/hotels.

Personally I would not stay just one night in so many places. You can’t count on good weather all the time, so with a few hours of sightseeing time only you may have to change plans in case of bad weather. That’s always a risk in the Alps, but the more time you have in one place the better it is. If you don’t mind it is all fine of course. Also I second Lucas’s suggestion to not stay in Zurich that long, or not at all even, unless you have a special goal there. Zurich is not in the Alps. With the limited number of days you have available I’d recommend to spend them in or near the mountains. Staying longer in Lucerne would be a good option. See Lucas’s links for all town details.

Happy planning!

• The thread ‘Itinerary help for 8 days Switzerland in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11490 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.