Jungfraujoch vs Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 22:33:45 #815491

Hello everyone,

Travelling to the Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn area on June 1 for a day trip. Would like to do one or the other plus a short walk/hike (2-3 hours or so) in the area. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance….

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 April 2018 at 22:49:51 #883025

How big is your budget?

Jungfraujoch is a major tourist draw card with matching price tag.

Schilthorn is free with Swiss Travel Pass. Will you have such a thing. We don’t know much about the context of your visit apart from your desire to visit the Aletsch Glacier in early May.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 23:01:20 #883026

Hi Rockoyster. We will have a half fare travelcard. So cost wise, about $50 difference I think.

The main consideration for us I guess is being able to see some stunning scenery and get a walk into the day as well. From what I’ve read, both sound like amazing locations. Just trying to work out if one is a stand out over the other.

Thanks again…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 April 2018 at 0:56:06 #883027

<<” and get a walk into the day as well”>>

Here are some data that may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Ar\t that time of year, stick with lower altitudes.

The floor of the Valley or Grütschalp to Mürren.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 April 2018 at 1:08:43 #883028

Hello GalaxyStars,

Slowpoke and I have one thing in common. We’ve never been to Jungfraujoch. 😎

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 April 2018 at 1:27:53 #883029

Look at the date for a walk.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 2:04:23 #883030

Thanks for all the advice… Some great options on the link.

See you all in Switzerland soon!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 April 2018 at 8:41:48 #883031

Hi Galaxy stars –

As you look at those options, please keep in mind that most mountain transport only opens for the summer season late in May. On June 1, you can expect to find most trails above maybe 1600-1700 meters and certainly at 2000 meters and above blocked by snow.

The floor of the Lauterbrunnen Valley is at about 800 meters.

The tourist information offices in Interlaken, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, and other towns in the region will be able to give y9ou details.

http://www.swiss.city-tourist.de/lauterbrunn en_en.htm

http://www.skiresort.info/ski -resort/schilthorn-muerrenlauterbrunnen/t ourist-info/

In some of the towns you will find a display board near the train station listing the ski runs ( Winter) or hiking trails ( Summer) that are open. June 1 is well past the end of the ski season, but the Summer season does not really ramp up until late June or July. So, keep an eye on the altitude of your choices, and, try the webcams:

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/m%C3%A4nnlichen -6935774/

This is a nice walk as part of a trip to Schilthorn:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/gruetschalp-muerren

It will be open almost certainly. I prefer to wall towardMürren, even though it is modestly uphill in that direction, because I am looking toward the Jungfrau massif.

Note that the hikes listed in My Swiss Alps all show altitude.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 11:10:52 #883032

Hi Slowpoke.

The walk to murren sounds perfect and I guess that means Schilthorn it is….

Thanks. Will let you all know how it goes in a few weeks……

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    25 April 2018 at 3:07:53 #883033

Hello,

Well, I have been to the Jungfraujoch (with 21 of my students) and I have not been up to the Schilthorn. However, I have watched videos of the latter, and am convinced that the view from there (Schilthorn) is more spectacular. The one thing you do see at the Jungfraujoch is the top of the glacier heading south, but you do not get the panoramic view that you get on the Schilthorn. And of course, from the Schilthorn you get a great view of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau. So, I think you have made the right choice. As for walking opportunities, they are everywhere !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2018 at 3:23:00 #883034

Thanks Peterli,

Hoping to do the glacier from the other side a few days earlier, so your info adds even more weight to my decision.

Thanks again for everyone’s help…

• The thread ‘Jungfraujoch vs Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.